Thread: Book Of Jasher

Default Book Of Jasher

Anyone want to take a crack at converting the English translation of the Book Of Jasher into a BW user database???

http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/jasher/home.html

I honestly don't have the time, but it would be an interesting addition. As far as I can tell, there are no copyright restrictions.

This is "BibleWorks" not "ReligiousFictionWorks", so I don't think you want the Book of Jashar. The book of Jashar referred to in Joshua 10 and 2 Samuel 1 no longer exists. So whatever "Book of Jashar" is translated on the web is not even worthy to be considered part of the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha.
    Here is part of the Anchor Bible Dictionary entry for "Jashar, Book of":
    "Certain ancient Jewish commentators considered the title to be a reference to the Torah. A medieval Book of Jashar paralleled, in part, the pseudepigraphic Testament of Judah. Still other medieval rabbinical works with this title appeared. An interesting example of a more recent forgery from Christian circles is associated with Alcuin, Bishop of Canterbury (d. A.D. 804), who is said to have discovered it in the city of Gazma on a 'Pilgrimage into the Holy Land, and Persia.' First published in 1829, it is reputed to have been the words of 'Jashar, the son of Caleb' rediscovered in England in 1721. The Rosicrucian Order published a 5th edition of this particular text in 1953."
    I don't know which of the various spurious books of Jashar was allegedly translated in 1840 and published in Salt Lake City in 1887, but it won't be of any use in biblical studies, nor in the study of any other religion, since it is not accepted as a sacred text by anyone (except maybe the Rosicrucians? or some secret lodge or cult?).
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 09-07-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks, I really had no idea about the provenance of this book. I had heard it mentioned (and even expounded) recently by a televangelist, so that in and of itself should have been my cue to ignore it completely.

As far as your quote "This is "BibleWorks" not "ReligiousFictionWorks", I agree, but then, why are the NET notes included in BW?

Okay, in spite of the fact that the Book of Jasher is probably a forgery, Willem has graciously taken the text and converted into a user database for my personal use.

Accordingly, even though it's not a biblical text per se, some might still like to have it, so I'm making it available as well.

Michael, I recently overhauled my email database and somehow lost your email address in the process, so if you would like to make the Book Of Jasher available on the BW blog, please email me and I'll get it to you.

And I'll do my best not to lose your email address this time.

Default jasher the spurious

Hi Adelphos. I'm not sure if Michael Hanel got your message about posting the Book of Jasher to the BW blog. You can send me an email to the address given below, and I'll post it.

So you heard a televangelist expound upon this nifty little book? What, pray tell, was he talking about?
    Last edited by jdarlack; 10-29-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    Hi Adelphos. I'm not sure if Michael Hanel got your message about posting the Book of Jasher to the BW blog. You can send me an email to the address given below, and I'll post it.

So you heard a televangelist expound upon this nifty little book? What, pray tell, was he talking about?
    He did indeed send it to me, but I've been so busy I haven't had time to write it up. I'll send it on to you.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post

As usual, just about everything except the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Smile A word in Season

As usual, just about everything except the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified.
    Every once in a while, and quite unexpectedly, a simple word comes to one like a cool breeze on a hot day. Besieged on all sides, or so it seems, by every imaginable perversion of the truth and my people love it that way how wonderful to hear:

... the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Thanks, Scott. Though I suspect you intended but a simple observation, you made this mans day!

WDr>yI ~ynIh]Koh;w> rq,V,b;-WaB.nI ~yaiybiN>h; WTT Jeremiah 5:31
    `Ht'(yrIx]a;l. Wf[]T;-hm;(W !ke_ Wbh]a' yMi[;w> ~h,ydEy>-l[;

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    First, I am unapologetically KJV/TR/MT.
    Hear, hear.

However, it should be noted that the so-called MT is a complete misnomer.

In short, it is not the majority text by even the wildest stretch of the imagination.

The so-called MT is based on Von Soden's apparatus, which means that the MT is based on a grand total of some 400 Greek manuscripts, and even of these 400 manuscripts the citations are not complete.

That's 400 manuscripts out of well over 5,000 Greek manuscripts extant.

This is just the short explanation; I have written more fully on the matter in other places.

In any case, do the math... some majority, and yet this text is quoted by opponents of the KJV/TR ad nauseam in an attempt to discredit the KJV/TR, thus demonstrating their apalling lack of scholarship by quoting this utterly erroneous figure and labelling it as the "majority text" and thereby displaying their ignorance of even a basic comprehension of the textual situation.

In case I've never done so before, I should thank you, Bob, for the modules you have contributed to BW. They are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 11-02-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Default still dragging

Maybe I'll get up the actual blog entry, but for now the Jasher file is available for download here.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 11-02-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: too many years of Disney movies
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!