Is there a way to make a new site in the map module?
I can make new overlays, views, etc., but I find no way to make a new site.
Next, select the arrow button on the toolbar. This opens the 'Editing Tools' popup. In this Editing Tools popup you can draw lines, add sites, add text, etc.
Keep in mind that sites are added to overlays, so you will need to decide to which overlay you want to add the site.
If it is a new overlay, you will want to create that first.
Hope this helps.
I'm talking about creating a completely new site, one that can be added to the current selection of sites that already exist.
Is there a way to do this?
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do.
When adding a new site, you have to add it to an overlay, whether a new overlay or an existing overlay. You can add a new site to an existing overlay by following the steps listed below. Your new site will appear along with the sites already present on the overlay. You can also edit current sites using the same tools.
Clicking the arrow button opens the Editing Tools popup. Clicking the 4th button on the Editing Tools popup displays a window asking you on which overlay you wish to place your new site.
Select the overlay, then click on the overlay with your cursor at the location for your site. Once you click on the location, a Site Label Properties window opens. In this window you enter the site name, alternative names as it may appear in the Bible text, you can change the site coordinates, and includes notes that appear in the site popup.
Please let me know what I am misunderstanding.
Last edited by Glenn Weaver; 07-23-2007 at 11:11 AM.
I don't want to ADD a site to anything. I want to CREATE a BRAND NEW site, one that does NOT already exist in the list of sites offered in the drop-down box.
In other words, say I want to have the word AFRICA displayed over that portion of the map. There is currently no SITE for AFRICA. One must be CREATED.
That's what I want... a NEW SITE, one that it is not currently offered in any list.
You can choose to add any site name you wish. For example, I created a site named 'TempSite' in the General Patriarchs overlay.
There is no requirement that you use a name already in a list. When you click on your chosen site location, the list that opens is for what overlay you want to use, not what site name you want to use.
Does that work for you? If not, I'll try putting together some screenshots for you.
There is one step you didn't quite mention, Glenn, so maybe this will help.
- Click on Overlays > Edit Sites
- Unless you are wanting to add something to an existing overlay, it may be better to create a new one. So, choose the "New Overlay" button at the bottom - when the dialogue box opens, give it a file name > OK > enter overlay properties including title, description, relevant time period, relevant Bible references
- You should be back at the "Edit sites in map overlays" - Be sure to pick the overlay you just created from the dropdown list > click Done
- Now, click on the arrow icon (just below "Mode" in the menu), and an "Editing Tools" box should open
- Note that you are placing items in the overlay you created
- Ignore the arrow icon in the box for now; as for the rest, you can now draw a curved line or a straight line (double click when you finish drawing and then you can change line parameters), text connected with a specific location (the dot + ab icon) or text not specifically located (the abc icon) - for each of these text edits, you can specify text attributes and more; for the specific site one, you can also specify what the dot locater looks like
- As you exit out of the map module, you will be asked to save your changes
WOW. I've just recently discovered the capabilities of the map module, and now that you've shown me how to create sites, I am really psyched!
Now, how about getting the tab situation straightened out -
IOW, allow us to use the CL to switch tabs, such as "tab 1" or "t 1" (without the quotes).
If you guys are really feeling froggy, perhaps you could also allow us to NAME the tabs, and also allow us to choose how many tabs we want displayed?
I've never yet taken an inch without asking for a mile!