Thread: Rereward in 2 Samuel 29:2 KJV

Default Rereward in 2 Samuel 29:2 KJV

I was about to email the BibleWorks staff to let them know that there was a typo in 2 Sam. 29:2 in the KJV/KJG. I thought that "rereward" should be "rearward." But I looked it up in several KJV hard-copies and lo and behold the word is there in print! Even looked in a hard-copy of the Strong's Concordance and the word is there as well! Anybody know any background on this spelling?

Pastor Harold Miller, Jr.
    New Hope Baptist Church
    Covington, GA

My 2 Samuel doesn't go that high.

I did a search on "rereward" and found it twice in Isaiah.

Speaking of Isaiah, what your take on 26:18"We have been with child, we have been in pain, we have as it were brought forth wind; ...."

Sorry, It's in I Sam, not 2 Sam

Default Isaiah 26:18

Haven't had a chance to really look at it! But at first glance, it sounds like a bad case of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold6 View Post
    I was about to email the BibleWorks staff to let them know that there was a typo in 2 Sam. 29:2 in the KJV/KJG. I thought that "rereward" should be "rearward." But I looked it up in several KJV hard-copies and lo and behold the word is there in print! Even looked in a hard-copy of the Strong's Concordance and the word is there as well! Anybody know any background on this spelling?
    It's merely orthographical. Webster's 1828 dictionary has --

"rereward, n, [rear and ward.] The part of an army that marches in the rear, as the guard; the rear guard..."

In this context the word is thus more emphatic than merely bringing up the rear, but rather signifies that there is a purpose for being there as well. The Philistines realized this and insisted that David turn back becaue they didn't trust him, especially in that particular position.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks Scott!

I can always count on you guys!

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Harold6 View Post
    Thanks Scott!

I can always count on you guys!

Harold
    It's down right astounding what the folks on this site know.

Jeff Foxworthy needs to scour this place: lots of members are smarter than a fifth grader.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    My 2 Samuel doesn't go that high.

I did a search on "rereward" and found it twice in Isaiah.

Speaking of Isaiah, what your take on 26:18"We have been with child, we have been in pain, we have as it were brought forth wind; ...."
    The following two references will help address this, esp. as it relates to the the theme of child(ren) and remnant in Isaiah:

Webb, Barry. 1990. "Zion in Transformation: A Literary Approach to Isaiah." Pages 65-84 in The Bible in Three Dimensions: Essays in
    Celebration of Forty Years of Biblical Studies in the University of
    Sheffield
    . Edited by David J.A. Clines, Stephen E. Fowl, and Stanley E. Porter. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series 87. Sheffield: JSOT Press.

Webb, Barry. 1996. The Message of Isaiah: On Eagles' Wings. BST. Leicester: IVP.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    The following two references will help address this, esp. as it relates to the the theme of child(ren) and remnant in Isaiah:

Webb, Barry. 1990. "Zion in Transformation: A Literary Approach to Isaiah." Pages 65-84 in The Bible in Three Dimensions: Essays in
    Celebration of Forty Years of Biblical Studies in the University of
    Sheffield. Edited by David J.A. Clines, Stephen E. Fowl, and Stanley E. Porter. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series 87. Sheffield: JSOT Press.

Webb, Barry. 1996. The Message of Isaiah: On Eagles' Wings. BST. Leicester: IVP.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.
    Oh maaaaaaaaaan! Am I going to learn that this is not a flatulence passage? First it was "Bye bye Santa Clause." Then it was "Bye bye Tooth Faire." Now it's gonna be "Bye bye Bible gas passage." I really haven't missed the first two. But this last one .....

Time to rent "Old Yeller" for the kids. Teach 'em what a "Shoot the Puppy" movie is.