Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calvin's Commentaries Old Testament

Post Conversion of Calvin Commentaries to BibleWorks

To everyone who find it useful:

Converting the Online Bible version of the commentaries to BibleWorks is a huge task. There are several problems to overcome in the conversion:

1. The source is not in HTML and needs to be converted.
    2. Extracting from Online Bible is not a simple task. It essentially has to be done one chapter at a time.
    3. The are many errors in the various versions which are available. These errors range from incorrect footnotes to left out portions of the commentary. These need to be corrected as they are spotted. Often, I have to revert back to my printed version to correct such errors.
    4. Scripture references for BibleWorks work differently to those in Online Bible and need to be converted. This means that one has to actually page through the entire commentary!
    5. Just converting the existing to HTML would not give it the look and feel that you see in the final product. I do a lot of touching up particularly in the way footnotes are displayed to make things look pretty.
    What makes the effort worthwhile for me is to see that the BibleWorks user-community out there finds the result useful and appreciates my efforts.

I have already started the conversion of the New Testament commentaries by John Calvin and will make those available as soon as they are done. It will be incorporated with the current Old Testament commentaries.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Willem Swanepoel

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Swanepoel View Post
    What makes the effort worthwhile for me is to see that the BibleWorks user-community out there finds the result useful and appreciates my efforts.
    Well I for one am very, very grateful for all of the effort, Willem. I know that it is a huge undertaking, and requires a lot of time, patience, and skill. But the end-result is an extremely valuable module for BibleWorks users. I look forward to the next installment! Thanks so much.
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Thumbs up

Thanks so much, Willem.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Thumbs up Thanks!

Willem and Darlack,

Thanks for your efforts!

If we could only get a translation of the "Prophets Targum" in English!
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj sou

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

Default Thank you

Willem, i want to add another thank you for the gift you have provided us.

Default Cannot open chm file in vista

Hi!

Can't seem to open the file although i can access it to
    resources>commentary>John Calvin, Commentary

All the books are there but can't seem to display the actual text file.

Did you use Darlack's zip file, on the previous page?

Do you get an error? If so, which?
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by xhapis View Post
    Hi!

Can't seem to open the file although i can access it to
    resources>commentary>John Calvin, Commentary

All the books are there but can't seem to display the actual text file.
    To see the text, you must "unblock" the html file. Go to the Bibleworks 7 database folder, right click on the html file, and click on properties. Now at the bottom of the properties box click the button labeled "unblock" then the "apply" button. Now you should be all set.

Default Cannot open chm file in vista-solves

The "unblock" properties did it!
    Its working already!

Default Cannot open chm file in vista-solved

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0r View Post
    To see the text, you must "unblock" the html file. Go to the Bibleworks 7 database folder, right click on the html file, and click on properties. Now at the bottom of the properties box click the button labeled "unblock" then the "apply" button. Now you should be all set.
    This feature seems to be for Vista users only.
    Thanks for the prompt reply!