Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering purchasing BDAG/HALOT

Default Returns

No need to resell it. There's a 30 day return policy. Just say you don't need it and that's it.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    No need to resell it. There's a 30 day return policy. Just say you don't need it and that's it.
    Mike
    There ya go. Nothing to lose. But, you won't return it...
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Well I purchased them this morning and was using BDAG while writing a sermon on Matthew.

In reference to 'lose' in Matthew 10:39 (Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.) BDAG had:

Diehl(2 )lines 11-14: ‘One who risks his life in battle has the best chance of saving it; one who flees to save it is most likely to lose it’).

That's a nice line and so I'm using it in the sermon. No idea who Diehl is though

But in other words, I'm enjoying it already! Thanks a lot for all the encouragement to buy them!

‘One who risks his life in battle has the best chance of saving it; one who flees to save it is most likely to lose it’

The quote is actually from the lyric poet Tyrtaeus from the 7th cent. BC (look a little bit earlier in the BDAG reference) as recorded in fragment 8 in Diehl's edition of the Lyric Poets - Anthologia Lyrica Graeca, ed. E. Diehl2 1936-42.

Glad to see you're already finding the dictionary useful.

Quote Originally Posted by frdee View Post
    ‘One who risks his life in battle has the best chance of saving it; one who flees to save it is most likely to lose it’

The quote is actually from the lyric poet Tyrtaeus from the 7th cent. BC (look a little bit earlier in the BDAG reference) as recorded in fragment 8 in Diehl's edition of the Lyric Poets - Anthologia Lyrica Graeca, ed. E. Diehl2 1936-42.

Glad to see you're already finding the dictionary useful.
    Ahh, nice! That's what I get for skim reading.

It's such a good quote and fits so nicely with the passage. If you flee to save your life, you'll end up losing it. It makes you immediately think of all the passages that tell you to stand firm in your faith. Really good stuff!

Default fleeing in battle

Well, this is off-topic, but if I remember correctly, most casualities to an army occurred when the army turned its back and ran. These soldiers were defenseless. Essentially, the victor was the one who could make the enemy turn and be defenseless.

Glenn

Default losing soul

But of course, the most helpful thing about the BDAG entry is the note of very similar usage for the term appolumi (eg lose one’s life Mt 10:39; 16:25; Mk 8:35; Lk 9:24; 17:33; cp. J 12:25. For this av. e`auto,n lose oneself Lk 9:25 ). The BDAG entries are like well-focused concordance listings.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Honestly, there's no point in buying the best critical tools if one doesn't know how to use them and doesn't care enough to learn.

Any lexicon, including old ones that come free, will give you lots to "think about." No need to pay for the newer ones unless you can understand what you're reading and citing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Well, this is off-topic, but if I remember correctly, most casualities to an army occurred when the army turned its back and ran. These soldiers were defenseless. Essentially, the victor was the one who could make the enemy turn and be defenseless.
    As Bunyan, Gurnall, and others were fond of noting, there is no armour for the Christian's back in the register of weapons in Ephesians 6.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

Quote Originally Posted by kitwalker View Post
    Ahh, nice! That's what I get for skim reading.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The way in which BDAG cites its references is not necessarily logical and takes a bit of practice. If you want to know what the various abbreviations stand for, you need to open the separate lexicon browser and then scroll down. In this case, you will find that Diehl2 refers to AnthLG. You will then need to continue searching to find that AnthLG refers to a series with various author/editors. Most of the time, such searching is not essential. Over time, many of the common references will be automatically recognisable. Patience, it's only the first week.