Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering purchasing BDAG/HALOT

Kitwalker,
    I have both the printed and electronic editions of BDAG. Now, I never open the large clumsy book and always use Bibleworks. I regularly translate large blocks of Greek text for my studies and having BDAG on computer saves me HUGE amounts of time. I also found that I use the lexicon more because I was too lazy to take out my printed BDAG. I would just use the gloss that pops up in Bibleworks. Also, though the resource summary window, you can go directly to how BDAG says a word is used in the passage you are working on. This feature is quite convenient because many entries are very long.

WELL worth the purchase price. Buy it. Today. You won't be sorry.
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    If by your use of the term "standard" you mean "printed editions" of the lexicons.
    Sorry for the confusion. By standard, I meant the lexicons that come free with Bibleworks.

I'm well aware of how wonderful it is to hover a word and have the definitions brought to my attention straightaway. What I was getting at is that wouldn't all Lexicons have similar definitions?

But from what I can gather from the reviews and comments provided is that these extra modules provide further analysis of the words in the resource summary window that the standard lexicons do not.

I should also mention that I had a dream last night where I asked my wife if I could buy them if I sold my Xbox. I questioned her about it this morning. She said I could indeed buy them if I raised the money by selling something of mine. So I think I'll get them. I repented of wasting my time with the xbox a while ago and so have ceased playing it. It will be the final straw in removing the temptation from my life

So if these are not better than an Xbox you guys are all to blame!

Default Better than XBox

Quote Originally Posted by kitwalker View Post
    I should also mention that I had a dream last night where I asked my wife if I could buy them if I sold my Xbox.... if these are not better than an Xbox you guys are all to blame!
    Whew! That puts a lot of pressure on us here. A new level of accountability for advice given in the forums.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by kitwalker View Post
    So if these are not better than an Xbox you guys are all to blame!
    Sounds like Adam's logic. ... Whaaaaaaat? I kiiiiiiiiiiiiid. I'm only jooooooking. [Seriously. I'm only joking. You're making a good switch.]

At our house it's Nintendo Wii. It's the nunchucks. Daddy loves the nunchucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    At our house it's Nintendo Wii. It's the nunchucks. Daddy loves the nunchucks.
    Too funny. So, between Wii and BDAG/HALOT, nunchucks wins hands done, eh?

Kitwalker - are you a student in a biblical studies program, or a pastor, or someone doing regular exegetical research? If so - in any capacity - these two lexica are pretty important, and worth the cost. Even if exegetical work is just a 'hobby', I'd argue it's worth your consideration - they really do give an important dimension to your study. XBOX may be a steep price - but I think it'll pay off!
    Steve Watkins
    www.slvbaptist.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Watkins View Post
    Too funny. So, between Wii and BDAG/HALOT, nunchucks wins hands done, eh?
    Oh not at all Sir Steve! Daddy had these two right when they first came out. I'm a big believer in the way Dale worded the advantage.

But, I can't use either one of those with my daughters. With the nunchucks, we've had lots of quality daddy:daughter time. Word of caution: Stay. Away. From. The. Screen!

I do use both for my daughters. Whatever I dig up, I serve up. Neither are hamstrung by Sunday School audience age. It's my job to disconbobulate.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    I do use both for my daughters. Whatever I dig up, I serve up. Neither are hamstrung by Sunday School audience age. It's my job to disconbobulate.
    Excellent... Yeah, I've heard lots of 'broken TV screen' stories from disheartened Wii users. Keep on discombobulating!
    Steve Watkins
    www.slvbaptist.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Watkins View Post
    Keep on discombobulating!
    Most certainly good sir, most certainly.

I've owned the print version of BDAG for exactly 24 years. I've owned the BibleWorks BDAG module for nine months. I am certain that I've used BDAG 50 times more often -- not to mention more efficiently and more effectively -- in those nine months than I did in the previous 23 years and 3 months.

Buy the module. You won't regret it. If you do, then sell it on this forum to somebody else for $10 less than you paid. It should sell within a few days, at most.

But you won't sell it. I promise.

Buy the module.