Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching Greek and getting OT

Default Searching Greek and getting OT

BW6.0.009o on W2KSP2.

Lately, double-clicking on Greek words in the NAU auto-info window has started showing entries from the OT and Apocrypha, in spite of the fact that BGT is not displayed and has never been displayed in the current session (since the program started). Tech support says this is a new "feature". If we didn't ask for it *and can't turn it off*, it's not a feature, it's a huge annoyance.

This is a request to get rid of this feature, or at the very least be able to turn it off. I *only* want the BGT searched when the BGT is displayed. 99.99% of the time I want Greek searches limited to the NT. In the .01%, I display BGT (and wouldn't you want the source displayed if you're searching it?).

PLEASE fix this sooner rather than later. I'm about to break out my Libronix, and you can't imagine how much I dislike Libronix. :-/

Vince

Smile A quick fix to your problem

Hi, Vince,

All you have to do to limit finding words to the NT is type <l nt> on the command line, omitting the <>. This will limit the search to the NT, even when clicking on a Greek word in the NAU notes.

Default Quick workaround, not fix

Yes, thanks very much for the reply, but I probably should have mentioned I know how to use limits, etc. The point is, however, that should not be necessary. I don't want to have to turn on and turn off limits every I do a Greek search, and we shouldn't have to.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Brown
    Hi, Vince,
    All you have to do to limit finding words to the NT is type <l nt> on the command line, omitting the <>. This will limit the search to the NT, even when clicking on a Greek word in the NAU notes.

Exclamation BGT and BGM versus GNM and GNT

I can't see why it is a problem to get OT and Apocrypha hits with BGT and BGM, because they are databases of the OT/Ap/NT

The GNT and GNM are NT only sets.

Or, am I missing something?

However, yesterday, after searching the BGM, I switched to GNM and still kept getting OT references.

[Probably my mistake, though!]

David McKay

Yes, you're missing that I didn't have BGT displayed. We should only get OT/Ap hits if BGT is displayed. It wasn't your mistake, you were still getting OT references, which is the point of the post. That program behavior is completely nonintuitive and extremely user unfriendly. BW normally hits home runs, but this is a double-play ball.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo
    I can't see why it is a problem to get OT and Apocrypha hits with BGT and BGM, because they are databases of the OT/Ap/NT. The GNT and GNM are NT only sets. Or, am I missing something?

However, yesterday, after searching the BGM, I switched to GNM and still kept getting OT references. [Probably my mistake, though!]

David McKay

Default 6 of one; half-a-dozen of another

Personally, I can imagine someone complaining just the opposite way--that they want to be able to see every place a word occurs in Biblical Greek, not just in the NT when they click on a Greek word. And they don't want to have to wandering around in Tools | Options | Option Flags | etc to find the option that turns that setting on/off.

Limits, IMO, are the best way to handle both sets of desires.

And those people have (or should have) an easy way to make that happen: by displaying the BGT. BW doesn't search the HNT when I double-click on a Hebrew word (no, there's no HNM for it to search, but it shouldn't do it even if there was, *unless* the HNT was displayed).

Nor did I say anything about burying something in Tools/Options/Options flags. But, since you brought it up, if something is needed other than the above, the *default* behavior should be an Option flag (which still wouldn't be changed on every search as you suggested). That is, if "Search BGT only if it's open" is checked, then the BGT is searched only if it's open; if it's unchecked, then the BGT is always searched. The people who like the latter uncheck it, the rest of us check it. But there's no way either group should have to resort to limits on *every* Greek search -- that's simply ludicrous, IMO.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Brown
    Personally, I can imagine someone complaining just the opposite way--that they want to be able to see every place a word occurs in Biblical Greek, not just in the NT when they click on a Greek word. And they don't want to have to wandering around in Tools | Options | Option Flags | etc to find the option that turns that setting on/off.

Limits, IMO, are the best way to handle both sets of desires.

Default Searching Greek and Getting OT

When you double-click on a Greek word in the NAS entry in the auto-info window, it will search based on the last Greek text searhed. If it was BGT, it will use BGT. I have tried it several times and it seems to work. However, if it doesn't, some of the other suggestions in this thread should handle it.

Mike

OK, but what is "the last Greek text searched", and how do we determine it? I don't have BGT displayed; I haven't had BGT displayed for days. The only reason I can tell that it's the last Greek searched is because BW insists on searching it when I double-click in auto-info (a seemingly infinite loop) Is BW remembering the "last Greek searched" across multiple sessions (apparently)? What sets the last Greek text searched (I never search Greek directly; I do it via auto-info.) How do we fix this, i.e. how do I get it to not search the BGT?

The current behavior is very non-intuitive, Mike, and I have not been able to find anything about it in Help. This impacts people the most who know the least about original languages (like me); that's why I'm using auto-info to do the search. It really needs to be either documented a lot better, or preferably, made more intuitive in how it works.

Thanks,

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    When you double-click on a Greek word in the NAS entry in the auto-info window, it will search based on the last Greek text searhed. If it was BGT, it will use BGT. I have tried it several times and it seems to work. However, if it doesn't, some of the other suggestions in this thread should handle it.
    Mike

Question Doesn't seem to work the way you describe

Hi, Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    When you double-click on a Greek word in the NAS entry in the auto-info window, it will search based on the last Greek text searched.
    Mike
    I just searched .logoj in GNM. Mat. 5:32 is the first verse it finds. I moused over the NAU word 'adultery,' and then double clicked on moiceuw and the CL automatically switched to the BGM and did not search the GNM.

I also tried it with the BNM and same thing happened.