Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 7.0: Chinese, Korean and Arabic Downloads

Default Installing Support for Far Eastern Languages

Instructions for installation of support for Far Eastern languages (as well as the right-to-left support, required for the Arabic Bible) can be found in the following Customer Support FAQ.

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2393

In that posting I added the step of inserting the Windows XP installation CD into the drive because some, like myself, may have left these options unchecked at the time of upgrading to Windows XP.

I found that if I was prompted by the system to insert the CD to find the files needed, I was also required to point to the folder where the file would be found. I cancelled out of that and started the process again with the CD already in the drive. With the CD already in the drive, it found the file it needed automatically, without user intervention. If you are sure that all of the files are already on the PC (such as those cases where Windows XP was already installed on the PC when it was purchased,) then inserting the CD can be skipped.

Last updated: EM/April 10, 2007
    Last edited by RickGross; 04-10-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Default One bug

I found a bug that seems to be related to the new update. I have done all the proper upgrades except I have not added Chinese or whatever keyboards, however all the fonts appear correctly, etc with the regular East Asian support.

What happens is when I am in BGT, I right click on a word and bring up the Lexicon browser. Sometimes the command line on the lexicon browser works (usually at first), but then it changes and instead of typing in greek, it only shows Latin letters and it is in a superscript format, taking the upper part of the cursor. Also a green box is flashing in the top right corner of the lexicon browser command line when this is happening.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Bug

Michael,
    This is fixed now (I hope). Let me know if you have other problems.
    Thanks,
    Mike

HP wanted me to uninstall IE 7 and revert back to IE 6 to enable me to add Far East support. I told them no, they needed to come up with a better solution. After a few back and forths, here is what I received from them just now --

"You can search for the xjis.nls file in the PC and see if that exists. If it is there in the PC, please check the location of the file and then give the same path while installing the language pack. If you are unable to find the File, then you need to go to any Windows XP PC and search for the file and copy it to a Thumb drive and then use the same file in your PC."

I already knew I needed this file, but I thought HP could just email the file to me, but apparently that would be too easy.

So...

if anyone wants to email me this file, I'd appreciate it. Email it to --

comments at lamblion.net

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Michael,
    This is fixed now (I hope). Let me know if you have other problems.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Works great now.

And Scott, I emailed you the file, let me know if it works out.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    And Scott, I emailed you the file, let me know if it works out.
    Thanks, Michael.

And thanks, Mike and Michael, and the rest of the BW staff. The Far East languages look great in BW. 'Course, I can't read them, but they do look great!

I imagine that there is some correlation between the following and the fact that I have been adding so many versions, user modules, etc., but the BW startup time seems to be dramatically slower than it was a few months ago. I'm guessing there isn't much that can be done about that. Or is that incorrect to say that versions and modules slow down the BW startup?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I imagine that there is some correlation between the following and the fact that I have been adding so many versions, user modules, etc., but the BW startup time seems to be dramatically slower than it was a few months ago. I'm guessing there isn't much that can be done about that. Or is that incorrect to say that versions and modules slow down the BW startup?
    I'm up to date on all updates and I don't notice any degradation of speed.

Of course, the first time BW is run, it takes longer to load than on any following instances, but that load time appears to be the same as it always was as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I'm up to date on all updates and I don't notice any degradation of speed.

Of course, the first time BW is run, it takes longer to load than on any following instances, but that load time appears to be the same as it always was as well.
    Well perhaps it's just all the other programs that are running in the background. There never is a time when BW is the only program I have open.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Load time

Michael,

It definitely does take longer to load when the number of versions increases. Some info is preloaded for each version when the program starts. But I haven't noticed any huge differences. You could try defragmenting your disk. A full disk that is badly fragmented can make a big difference. If we get more reports of slow load time, we'll try to do some work on it. If you are running Vista there are known and serious problems with disk IO. It is often so slow you think the system is hung.

Mike