Yup, tried it as Administrator too.
Well, ummm, fooey then. I have absolutely no idea why what I did worked in that case. I'm quite sure that I did not forget or somehow otherwise eliminate a step. If something comes to mind, I'll get back to you.
Originally Posted by ingosorke
Tried your tricks, too Miles -- and thanks for them I also tried what BW staff posted. I tried combining the two. Nothing works. It just crashes every time I run Check for Updates.
I didn't even have to bother with thinking. I've somehow gotten the N executable to be running on the system, but if I start BibleWorks in Administrator or Regular User mode I can't do a web update without crashing BW. The odd thing is that I could do this before - immediately after successfully patching to 7.0.018n:1.
Originally Posted by MWMiles
I was wearing different shoes the last time. Perhaps I'll try changing my shoes and see what that does...
Sorry about this problem. We think we've found it. In this case, it appears to be a bug in the Microsoft compiler. To get it to work, you'll need to follow these steps:
1. Re-run the Vista EXE patch for BW7.
2. Run the updater, and only select the newest EXE patch. BW should restart into the new EXE.
3. Now run the updater and apply any other patch that you want to apply.
Hope that helps!
The new executable is working fine on my Vista Business install. Thanks!
Originally Posted by admin
Re-applied the Vista patch, but still get the message after about 10 seconds of updating: "Transfer interrupted - Internet connection broken."
Don't make it a high priority - I'm fully functional. Might just be my laptop.
Thanks to the BW folk for staying on top of things though!
I uninstalled the McAfee Suite that came with my laptop and installed avast and other protections and voilà -- Bibleworks is updating like a charm! BW had full permissions in McAfee, but something interfered . . .
Thanks and a meaningful weekend to all,
You are probably well aware of this, but I noted in an earlier response in this thread the mention that Vista won't allow an application to write into its own folder. But it will if the application runs with administrator privileges.
One way to force this is to add the program into the registry at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\ with the "RUNASADMIN" value.
I have had to do that with software I write for Vista and it resolved many of the Vista related issues.