Patching Under Vista
Sorry if this turns out to be a stupid question, but I have them from time to time.
I'm running Windows Vista Business and my 7.0.018j:1 executable file will not allow me to do a web update. I remember in the old days of BibleWorks that I'd just download patches and then double-click the patches to install them. No problem, so I go ahead and download the current 7.018k patch and put a copy in my C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7 directory. I then use the Vista incarnation of File Explorer to waltz over to this folder and I double-click on the rev1_exe_release_7018k.pbn file and the operating system throws up a window asking me what program I want to use to open this file. What would I be wanting to open the patch set with?
This may all happen automagically with XP, but I may have to do something that I'm not yet aware of with Vista to make this all go. Does anyone have a clue?
Thanks in advance,
I don't have a solution; just adding my voice to your question. Even with all firewalls and AV programs turned off temporarily (!) I can't update BW under Vista, and I have the BW patch for Vista installed.
I just copy the 'patches' file from my XP computer to the Vista computer.
Can't solve this problem for you, but I can commiserate - I have just the same problem. Already under 18g and i as well, I think. Solved it last time by completely re-installing BW from the CDs, as neither reverting to another version nor using the repair function seemed to help.
We are surely spoiled by the good folks at BW, giving us an update once every few days; but re-installing with the same frequency is a bit less attractive. I hope someone will figure this one out!
I don't feel like the Lone Ranger anymore!
I went ahead and opened a support request for this one.
My error message: Transfer interrupted. The internet connection was broken.
Must be a Vista thing. When I do try update with firewalls in place, BW has permission but still no success. I'll be sure to post something if I find the culprit.
We are still trying to figure out Vista. The security features in Vista are Draconian and it is likely that there are some fetures in BW that are gone forever because they make it so difficult to communicate between programs. It will likely be several months before we fix all the Vista issues, though I think we have most of them. Most of the remaining problems have to do with situations in which BW is communicating with another application and Vista has thrown up a security wall. Believe it or not an application is forbidden by Vista from writing to its own directory. We got around that by violating Microsoft rules, but there are many similar but minor issues that we have to work through. Sorry for the delays.
Vista & Updater
I had a similar problem after trying to install BW7 on a new notebook computer with Vista Business. However, after reading this thread I realised I needed to uninstal, re-install without running the application, apply the patch and then run the application. After that the updater worked fine.
Tried the uninstall, reinstall, apply patch sequence but still no success with updating. But with patch and update transfers from my XP computers that's not a big problem.
I have other programs that won't work under Vista (yet), even with the Vista Compatibility Wizard; BW is at least fully operational.
BW should write its own Operating System and call it BMW!
Got this working....
I managed to get BW 7.0.018j:1 to repair itself under Windows Vista Business so that the executable would not crash when attempting to do a web update.
I did not have to uninstall BW. All I did was to hold down the shift key while right-clicking on the BW7 desktop icon. When the right-click menu came up, I chose Run As Administrator. Since I was holding the shift key down, I got the BibleWorks Trouble-Shooting Options menu. At the Trouble-Shooting Options menu, I selected Delete the BW700.INI file, Start with Compact UI, and Delete the BWEDIT.INI file and then clicked on the Perform the selected options and run BibleWorks. After I did this, BibleWorks 7.0.018j:1 started as normal (excepting for the fact that I was still likely running it as an Administrator) but this time I was allowed to run the web updates and successfully updated to the latest executable, which is 7.0.018n:1.
After the 7.0.018n:1 executable is installed, I can start BW either as an Administrator or as whatever level Vista defaults to for a normal user and check for web updates without BW spiraling out of control.
I'm not sure what part of my mouse clicking actually made any difference, so I wanted to carefully recount what I did so that perhaps it might help someone else.
So far, the current version runs fine run as Administrator or regular user.
Tried those tricks too. (Unintentional alliteration!)
Might just be a unique case . . .
Thanks for the insights, MWMILES!