Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket PC questions

Default Pocket PC questions

Two questions relating to Pocket PCs, as I am hoping to purchase one with some of my graduation money (shameless bragging plug: I graduate seminary on Friday! WooHoo!)

1) Those of you who have pocket PCs, what do you use and why? I'm heavily leaning toward a Dell Axim X3i right now. Thoughts, comments, recommendations?

2) Since Bibleworks doesn't have a "lite" version for palms or pocket PCs, what (preferably free) bible software do you recommend for them?

Thanks much!
    David Garrison
    Pastor for Emerging Ministries
    Southminster Presbyterian Church
    St. Louis, MO

Dear Brother:

Try "http://www.e-sword.net/pocketpc/index.html". And I use the HP ipaq 5555 with a 512 Mb memory expansion.
    Agape Love, always.

Yours, in His Hily Name,
    Tom W.

I have had a few different PPCs and my personal favorite is my current. I have an IPAQ 4155. It is small like a Palm, but powerful like a PocketPC. I has integrated WIFI and Bluetooth and plenty of power and space as well as a slot for a SD card that is compatible with things like cameras and GPS systems.

As for Bible I have tried Laridian's Pocket Bible which has the most available components of note (NIV and NASB, etc) but is slower than some of the others. Another commercial bible is the PDA version of QuickVerse. I do not have as much experience with it, only tried the trial version. My two favorites are the free olive tree program and e-sword has a Pocket PC version as well as a vibrant support community that is creating tools to convert your own commercial electronic bibles to e-sword and hopefully very soon PocketPC version.

And another option is to cut and paste your favorite bible into Word and the use the free ReaderWorks plugin to convert it to a .LIT file that is readable on MS Reader and Pocket Reader.

One final recommendation. Get an avantgo account going. You can download web pages to your device and take them with you even when out of reach of your network or not connected to the Internet.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with other questions.
    Dr. Kevin Purcell I am a BW9 User!
    Columnist for Christian Computing Magazine
    See my personal blog at www.KevinPurcell.org
    Follow me on Twitter @kapurcell

Personally, I think I would wait before purchasing one.

Recently in the news I read about a new hard drive that has been created specifically for use with hand-helds and cellular phones. This hard drive, the size and width of a quarter, holds 40 gigs. The article said that the hard drive will be ready for mass production by the end of the year. With new products comming out around 2005-2006 (?).

I would hate to see anyone spending money on something that will, in 2 years, be incredibly obslete.

But if you have the money now and wish to spend it....go for it.

TS Brumwell

any technological product is obsolete within 6 months these days, no matter what "latest innovation" you wait for.

I'm aware that that is part of the risk, but its the way the game is played these days.
    David Garrison
    Pastor for Emerging Ministries
    Southminster Presbyterian Church
    St. Louis, MO

Default oqo device

There is a device that is supposed to come out this fall that runs Windows XP in full (and thus BibleWorks) on a handheld sized device.
    The idea is to dock it and use it like a full desktop or take it and go with it like a PocketPC.
    The HD on this device is 20GB.
    You can check it out at www.oqo.com

Hello,

The below may not help, but is some information on Palm Bible software.

I recently had a similar question... I was given a color Palm IIIc (a 3+ year old product, can be bought for $40-$60 on Ebay) and was looking for some Bible software for it. A BW user had noted PalmBible+ and am EXTREMELY pleased with it.

PalmBible+ is free and it has numerous translations and interlinear versions available. The program allows searches (English, Hebrew, and Greek), book marks, notes, etc... and also allows split screen. This allows me to put the Hebrew/Greek on the top of the screen and an English translation below.

The program designers recently finished adding Hebrew vowel points, so currently there is the Hebrew text with vowels (with SEC numbers encoded) and Greek text with accents (with SEC numbers encoded). This is great because this allowed me to setup BDB/Thayers (for FREE!) wit h PalmBible+... so anytime I do not know a word I just need to display the SEC numbers and double tap and it pulls up the Lexicon info. I am hoping they get a parsed text someday also...

There is also a nifty Bible reading planner software that works with Bible+; my wife and I are using that for planning our daily family and individual devotionals.

This is great software for the Palm platform, and everything is FREE.

I also am using MiniFlash--which is a great English/Hebrew/Greek flashcard program. It has vocab databases for the grammars I have used (or will use) in the Basics of Biblical X series, and also allows you to use DBs from FoundationStone. MiniFlash is $19.

So, for $19 I got a pretty good deal I think

Unibible (Palm) and Oaktree (Palm and PocketPC) are both worth a look also.

Joshua

I highly recommend Bible With You by Gmpsoft (www.gmpsoft.com).

It is definitely the fastest one around. They have the Greek new Testament available and will have the Hebrew eventually.

As far as PDA's, I like the Sony's (I have TG50), but they are discontinuing the PDA's.

Default PalmBible+ Conversions

Ok, So I've bought a Tungsten T3, and I am loving PalmBible+!

Looking at the PalmBible+ website, I have found a couple of places that mention converting BW files for (personal) PalmBible+ use, being careful to observe copyrights, etc. Has anyone on the forum had any luck with this. I have not been intiated into the world of "java runtime environments" etc.

See the PalmBible site: http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/createbible.htm.

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Dell

Hey,
    I have a Dell Axim x3i myself and I like it very much however, I just bought a laptop so I'm trading my pocketPC for him to build me a desktop