Thread: Thinking of Buying MacBook Pro

Default Thinking of Buying MacBook Pro

Help. Never had a Mac. Thinking of buying a MacBook Pro with Intel chip. I use BW6 like crazy and use it with Word. Will I be able to use it as easily on Mac with the Parallels software as I use it on my PC? Or will there be long delays waiting for Windows to boot? Will there be delays in copying and pasting?

I really want a Mac, but my BW6 has to come first. Would appreciate any tips from experience. Won't buy a Mac until I hear from several people who use it with BW6.

Derek Leman
    Messianic Rabbi in Atlanta

You can read about different user's experiences here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2010

There are a couple of other threads about it as well if you do a search.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    David Garrison
    Pastor for Emerging Ministries
    Southminster Presbyterian Church
    St. Louis, MO

The challenge with Macs are that you have to buy everything all over again. It's like going from a record world to a world of CDs. You need a different Microsoft Office, a new Adobe Photoshop, a new Bible program.

Suddenly, the $2000 PowerBook has cost you $4000.

Default Bootcamp or parallels will do it!

Quote Originally Posted by majordude View Post
    The challenge with Macs are that you have to buy everything all over again. It's like going from a record world to a world of CDs. You need a different Microsoft Office, a new Adobe Photoshop, a new Bible program.

Dual boot with bootcamp
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcamp.html
    or use parallels
    http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

You should not need any new software. For those or two apps that ONLY run on Windoze... You can have the joy of using Mac and not have to buy any new Windoze software.

BTW... Most Mac testing of Windoze apps are done on parallels.

#2 BTW... wait for Leopard due out mid-year

Suddenly, the $2000 PowerBook has cost you $2000

Default Not anymore

It's a whole different ballgame with the intel macs compared to the powerpc powerbooks. As pointed out, you spend $80 on Parallels, and you don't have to buy any new software. You get the best of both worlds. And it's just screaming fast.

So, you end up with a computer that runs OSX and Windows, at the same time, faster and smoother than most windows machines run windows...

Where's the problem with this?
    Last edited by Dogfish Jones; 04-03-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    David Garrison
    Pastor for Emerging Ministries
    Southminster Presbyterian Church
    St. Louis, MO

Not everything. Adobe lets you exchange licenses for free or close to it, as long as you're current. If you're not, they charge $150 to get you current. The OP was specifically asking about using BW on Parallels, so he doesn't intend to buy a new Bible program. And, between iLife and Open Office, I probably wouldn't buy suggest anyone buy Office again, either. So, it's more like the $2000.

Vince