Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW 7.0: Arabic and NT Apocrypha

Default BW 7.0: Arabic and NT Apocrypha

We just posted the following new databases. They are free for the downloading for all BibleWorks 7.0 users.

1. The Van Dyke Arabic Bible. Copyright (c) 1998-2005, Arabic Bible Outreach Ministry, P.O. Box 486, Dracut, MA 01826. This is available in two versions, "AVX" for Windows XP and "AVD" for Windows Vista. Neither Windows XP nor Vista handle Arabic correctly, though Vista is by far the better of the two. Because the two versions sort Arabic words differently, the same version database cannot be used on both systems. Version 7.0.018h or later of the program is necessary. This is a "preview" version because of the number of changes we had to make to support Arabic. See the previous executable post. After you have AVX/AVD installed take a look at the version info for details on how to use the version.

2. The William Hone translation of the New Testament Apocrypha. The version ID is HON.

3. The Apocryphal New Testament translated by Montague Rhodes James. It is availabe as an HTML Help module. Look under Resources | Miscellaneous. Some of the texts have been extracted and compiled as a BibleWorks version with the ID "JAM". This text has been newly scanned and double proofed by a company under contract to us so it should be in very good shape.

4. You will also need to get the latest Book Names list, posted separately at the same time. These add book names for the NT Apocrypha.

Thanks for using BibleWorks. We are thankful that the Lord has blessed us sufficiently to enable us to provide these to our users without additional charge. Enjoy!

God bless,
    Mike Bushell for the BibleWorks
    Programming and Support Staff

Wow, more additions to BW7, awesome!

Things look pretty good on first glance. Although some work may need to be done later to line up the verse-by-verse divisions if that's possible.

examples: 1 and 2 Clement seem to use a completely different verse numbering scheme in HON, same with Hermas, etc. Not sure if you can correct the numbering scheme or else create a verse map file for those....

I don't know Arabic, but it looks good.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    We just posted the following new databases. They are free for the downloading for all BibleWorks 7.0 users.

1. The Van Dyke Arabic Bible...
    I have downloaded these versions, yet they show up NOWHERE -- not in Choose Display Versions, not in Choose Search Version... NOWHERE.

How, therefore, are they accessed?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I have downloaded these versions, yet they show up NOWHERE -- not in Choose Display Versions, not in Choose Search Version... NOWHERE.

How, therefore, are they accessed?
    Did you also download the new EXE? They won't be accessible I imagine without that.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Did you also download the new EXE? They won't be accessible I imagine without that.
    No, not at first. But I have now, and that fixed the problem. Also, the new EXE worked for me without a hitch.

Talking great stuff!

Excellent addition Mike! You guys never cease to amaze me.

Everything worked just fine (though I had to modify my *.bna files and some of the modules I've prepared for myself). Oh, the pain of progress!

I agree with Michael Hanel about the versification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    . . . Although some work may need to be done later to line up the verse-by-verse divisions if that's possible.

examples: 1 and 2 Clement seem to use a completely different verse numbering scheme in HON, same with Hermas, etc. Not sure if you can correct the numbering scheme or else create a verse map file for those. . . .
    It would be helpful for consistency across the board so that at least HON and JAM lined up with each other and other versions such as the APF. It would also be great if the Gospel of Thomas files could be read in parallel (I've posted a G. Thomas file in the past with multiple translations, so I'm partial to the book name "Tho." )
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Problem

Just loaded all the latest updates and a new warning comes up when I launch BW7.0:

"Unable to load the version file avd.dbu. To use this version you must have the Windows support for right-to-left languages loaded, and have an Arabic keyboard activated. This can be done by double-clicking on the "Regional and Languages" applet in the Windows Control Panel."

I don't ever plan on using the Arabic files. What do I have to do to not get this warning everytime I want to use BW?

Default To Chris

Chris, you can either install the appropriate language tools (60 seconds and a reboot) or go to the BibleWorks databases folder and remove all AVX.* and AVD.* file. Actually all you need to remove are the AVX.DBU and AVD.DBU files, but if you want to clean it out delete them all.

Mike

Default Problem with WTT and 18i.3

Hi, Mike,

I emailed you a bug report on this. Was too difficult to use this forum to report it. But you said you wanted notification here.

With 18i.3 Num. 13:29 in WTT showing some Hebrew text in English letters and placing the references in the middle of the first line

Thanks.

Hmm... Unfortunately, this update roached by BW setup . BW crashes every time I try to start it up and I can't seem to reinstall an old patch either... Bummer.
    Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.