Thread: Englishman's Concordance in BW6?

Default Englishman's Concordance in BW6?

How can the feature expressed in the printed Englishman's Concordance be obtained in BW6?

I.e. In Englishman's Concordance (EC) you can look up a word as found in your bible (I.e. LOVE) and find each Hebrew and Greek word that has been translated into the English word LOVE in your bible translation/version.

Below I give a fake example of what I'm trying to say EC does: (In this example I've looked up LOVE and see that two Hebrew words have been translated as love in my bible as have two Greek words.)

LOVE

FGJYpol - Hebrew word meaning affection (See Psalms 2:1, Song 3:3)

opqwdd - Hebrew word meaning romantic love (See Exodus 12:45, Deut. 1:33)

jdhiuyy - Greek word meaning affection (See Matt. 12:15, Luke 5:12)

eoxm - Greek word meaning romantic love (See Matt 12:24, Mark 5:5)

How can I glean the same information from BW? If this feature is not in BW, can it be added in the future?

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Englishman's Concordance

Mike,

There's no way for the computer to search through the Hebrew and Greek text and tell you how each word is translated by a given translation. However, you can search for verses where a particular English version uses the word AAA and the Hebrew or Greek Bible uses word BBB.
    You can also build a list of Greek/Hebrew words that can be translated by a given English word by opening the Lexicon Browser (click Resources>Greek/Hebrew lexicons) and searching the lexicon (click Edit>Search) for the English word in question. For the Greek you will especially find the Louw-Nida lexicon useful for this purpose.

Because the list you are looking for is really rather subjective and will differ from one translation to another, the simplest way to get such a list is still to look up that English word in a concordance (Youn's and Englishman's Concordances are particularly helpful with this). With a quick glance you'll see them all. You can then use BibleWorks to do further study on each of these words. We do hope in the future to add a listing similar to that found in printed concordances as a resource in BibleWorks.

On a similar topic, I think you would find section 3.7.5 in the manual interesting. That section discusses Greek/Hebrew word searches in English translations that are tagged with Strong's numbers.

Charlie

Is the Englishman's Hebrew Concordance still unavailable as a BBW module?

Thanks
    xyvmh [wvy ~vb ~wlv
    www.hebrew4christians.com

Short answer: yes, Englishman's Hebrew Concordance is NOT in BibleWorks.
    Long answer: One of the most basic features of the BibleWorks program is its ability to act as a concordance of every single Bible version or other text among its databases. Instead of having to buy a concordance for every Bible version, BibleWorks allows you to search for a word or lemma in every version included.
    So it would be redundant for BibleWorks to purchase the copyrights to a printed concordance.
    As interesting as a list of Hebrew or Greek words behind a given English word might be, that fact does not help us much in exegesis of the text of the Bible itself.
    BibleWorks intends to help us do faster and more thorough exegesis of the original language texts of the Bible. Doing exegesis of an English translation is a step or two distant from BibleWorks' main goal. The advice given 5 years ago is still good.
    Mark Eddy

Default Englishman's Concordance in BW6?

If you are looking for something like the Englishman's Concordance that you can access from your computer online (perhaps setting it up on ERMIE), then I suggest that you Google:

A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament.

It seems to be similar to your Englishman's Concordance. It can be downloaded or examined fully online. I use it in conjunction with Louw Nida when I translate the languages. It is a good piece of work, me thinks . FYI, Bullinger also produced a Bible called the "Companion Bible". The appendices in it are excellent. It can also be found online, although not readily downloadable (cd's available for purchase) You might want to access Bullinger's Book "Figures of Speech used in the Bible" (in conjunction with this particular Bible), also available online. Like everything else, these things have to be used critically (Bullinger had some imaginative views), but there is alot of help with the languages in these tools. I Hope this has been a help. If not please ignore.