Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Version

Default reading choice

when i got saved, our pastor answered my question by saying the 1901 ASV was probably the superior translation. after 10 or 15 years, i could no longer buy that and began with the NASB. I've read many since, but have turned in the past year to the KJV for reading and studying.
    i want a word for word translation, because i believe that's how God inspired it. when i was younger, i wanted to understand all the verses. now, i have an appreciation that i may not understand all that God says, and i need to work through that. i'm willing to need understanding while i gain wisdom and experience and mull the passage and context.

Default Literal Translation

If you want a word-for-word translation, you will have to do it yourself by learning Greek and Hebrew. All translations are colored to some greater or lesser degree by the theology of the translators. I consider the NASB to be one of the best out there, but there are spots where they fail dismally to translate literally. For example, there are two places in the New Testament where the original language uses the phrase "in sanctification of spirit." Instead of translating it literally so the reader can decide between a couple of possible interpretations, the NASB translators changed it to "by the sanctifying work of the Spirit." The word "work," of course, doesn't even appear in the original, and the meaning may be something quite different from that implied by the translation.

So, get to work on the language. The only downside is that, depending on how fussy you are about literalness, you may get put out with the translators. Well, it does take several years to develop any proficiency at all, and that is a difficulty. Just take the time to learn enough not to make foolish mistakes. A little knowledge of the language is almost worse than none, but a good working knowledge yields great rewards.

Default Literal?

If it's literal you want, you won't be achieving that with the KJV; the translators' very efforts to produce fine literary English ruled that out, which is way it was so readable for such a long period in the history of the English language, and is still the delight of those who love its literary turns of phrase.

Of course, the KJV could be quite "dynamic" in its translation. See for example its "God forbid" for mh. ge,noito (Luke 20:16; Rom 3:4, 6, 31; 6:2, 15; 7:7, 13; 9:14; 11:1, 11; 1 Cor 6:15; Gal 2:17; 3:21; 6:14).

And I guess the Lord's prayer would begin something like this:
    Father of us, the in the heavens, sanctified be the name of you. May it come, the kingdom of you; may it come to pass, the will of you, as in heaven and upon the earth. The bread of us, a daily need [?], give us today.
    A better question than how "literal" it is is rather how "accurate" it is. And that absolutely requires not only lexical, grammatical, and syntactical judgments, but even theological judgments.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Call to Order... J/K

The Original Question before the KJO crowd decided to chime in was what you're favorite version was for Reading and Study...

When it comes to Reading, I prefer the USB 4, because of the Paragraphing and plain arrangement of the Text. When it comes to Study, I prefer the NA 27 Update because it contains the major Variations in the text for me to ponder and pray over why and what they mean... When it comes to the OT, my Favorite Reading Version is that of a Reproduction of L, because it reads better... When it comes to Version of OT Study... BHS for the most part--but one must take some of the textual notes and the Masora for what they are at for face value... I wish that BW had NA27 Apparatus so that all of my needs were fulfilled, that and Smyth's Grammar... but one can always Dream....

Default Smyth Grammar

Smyth's Grammar is downloadable as a free PDF at Textkit
    I suspect it would be a ton of work to integrate it into BW, but at least it is free, and I do have access to it on my computer.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    Nope, it might even indicate that you're an aficionado of fine literature, since subsequent English translations have never seemed to reach that same level of literary excellence.
    I agree with you. Personally, I enjoy the language and literary level of KJV. But I find that this puts me a an exceedingly great (to use a KJV idom) disstance from modern hears with whom I wish to communicate. So how do you as a teacher and preacher and public reader of scripture bridge the communication gap?
    E. Wray Bryant
    Associate Professor
    Capital University
    1 College and Main
    Columbus, Ohio 43209
    wbryant@capital.edu

Default versions I use

something personal resonates in me with the KJV.

I find that the New Englsih Bible and its successor REB provide the level of English prose I am looking for.

I think the freshness, and sometimes unususal, renderings of the New American Bible exciting because they require me to think.

I tend to find the New King James Version to be a surprising read. I just wish it had used a better Original Language text and that it had a different name.

For practical and professional purposes, I use NRSV. It charts a middle course which does leave it rather bland and non-discript.

Nothing seems to satisfy except reading the Bible in the Original languages.
    E. Wray Bryant
    Associate Professor
    Capital University
    1 College and Main
    Columbus, Ohio 43209
    wbryant@capital.edu

I can't get by with a single favorite Bible any longer. I've used the NASB for about 35 years so that's kind of a mental default. I use the ESV to teach because it's becoming the standard among the students in my classes. But I enjoy reading the ISV and the translation and notes in the NET to challenge my thinking.

Default NET Bible Rocks!

Study - NET/ NA27/ BHS
    Read - NIV/NAU
    Devotions - KOR
    PREACH - NIV

For general reading, the ESV. For study, the same, along with original languages and other English versions, particularly YLT and NLT.