Thread: Aramaic Suggestion

Default Aramaic Suggestion

Hi;

I would welcome an Aramaic Grammar as an addition to BW 6. An example of the one I used in seminary was, A Grammar of Biblical Aramaic by Franz Rosenthal, 1983, Fifth Edition, Otto Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 100 pp. There are excellent paradigm tables but the text has to be read clearly in order to understood properly. This is one of the few Aramaic grammars written in English and is much better than only using HALOT or BDB to get your info. There is a lot here in the small amout of pages it contains.
    en Xristo

Bob Z

Arrow Johns & Jumper Aramaic Grammar & Key?

I agree that an Aramaic grammar, as well as Aramaic Paradigms would be helpful to BibleWorks! Especially given the addition of Targumic materials. Perhaps one could look into the shorter grammar by Johns:

Alger F. Johns. A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic. Berrien Springs, Mich. : Andrews University Press 1982 {ISBN 094387274X}
    A new annotated answer key has been prepared by a Gordon-Conwell graduate as well!

James N. Jumper. An Annotated Answer Key to Alger Johns's a Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic. Andrews Univesity Press 2003 {ISBN 1883925436}
    Dr. Douglas K. Stuart, Old Testament professor at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, wrote the following review of Johns' grammar and Jumper's key:
    As one who teaches Aramaic annually, I can attest that Johns's "A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic" is a quick, efficient way to learn biblical Aramaic well. Yet its exercises contain practice sentences that are purposely very challenging, and therefore can be offputting to students. James Jumper has put together, with the permission of the publishers (Andrews University Press), a clearly annotated key to all the exercise sentences in Johns' grammar, de-mystifying those sentences and adding a lot of helpful comments and grammar reminders in the process.
    Johns's grammar has some real advantages for learning Aramaic. For example, it takes seriously the proto-semitic reflexes for virtually all forms (great for those interested in comparative Semitic grammar, but not necessary for using the book to learn Aramaic). It also treats the Peil as a separate conjugation, which is certainly how native speakers in OT times understood it, however certain modern grammarians may "theorize" about its role.
    Jumper's "Key" makes Johns's grammar more accessible than ever -- a real gain for Aramaic students. I think that anyone who uses Johns's Grammar would find it advantageous and time-saving to purchase Jumper's Key along with it.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing