Thread: Creating Vocab File

Default Creating Vocab File

I would like to attempt to create a vocab file for transliterated Akkadian to match Huehnergard's grammar. But my problem comes with the need to use english letters. Working with a vrt file, it apparently only accepts "greek" or "hebrew" after "language:" Is there a way to get the program to accept english letters for the flashcard words?

Default Using English Letters

You will want to read the BibleWorks help file in detail, but in general you can change to English by using the following:
    <a>text</a>

As an example, if you wanted the word to be "apple" then type
    <a>apple</a>
    When working with Excel, I copied the <a></a> keystrokes all the way down the page so that I didn't have to retype it each time. Then just click in between and start typing.

It doesn't really matter what language you claim that you are using so long as you use the characters mentioned above (except that it affects the alphabetical sorting).

I believe the / character is something they started with BibleWorks 7. Version 6 did not call for it. I believe it will still work without it. That is, the files I prepared for version 6 still work in version 7 even though I did not use the / character.

I am working on Latin flashcards which require the English "trick." Here's what a line in the spreadsheet looks like (you can't see the cells, so each space would be the next cell):

<a>aqua<a> <a>aqua, -ae, f.<a> L 1 0 noun water 1
    (WordFront of CardLanguageChapterFrequencyPart of SpeechDefinitionSound File)

You will want to have data in every cell or the module will not work properly. For the sound file field, since I did not want to record files, I just entered a number and it worked fine.

I hope this is helpful.
    David
    Last edited by hometownhutch; 02-14-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity

Default Thank you!

Thank you David! That did the trick. Now I can get to work on typing it all in.

I was wondering if you made the Akkadian vocab file? If so, that'd be a great addition to the blog. I'd certainly download it. -Jake

Sorry - I was unable to do the Akkadian file because Bibleworks has limited the fonts you can use in the vocab program. I couldn't get certain transliteration characters to appear.

I had that same problem for just about all free electronic flashcards. I did find one for $25 at www.luminaresoft.com that allows inputting of any fonts or even images.
    I'm currently in the process of creating a monster Akkadian flashcard based on Huehnergard that should be finished in a couple months (I'm through ch. 15). If you get that program, I can send you my files as I complete them (they'll be gentium or, if you've spent the $$$ for it, Linguist Software's TranslitLSU font).
    That goes for anyone out there--I've created Caplice's Akkadian, I'm in the process of doing Greenspahn's Aramaic, German (based on A. Wilson's German Quickly), and the top 100 Neo-Assyrian signs (from Borger using LaserAkkadian). I hope to finish Huehnergard and do a sign-list for Hammurapi and a complete signlist from Huehnergard and Sumerian (out of Hayes) by the end of the summer.
    Shoot me an e-mail: christian.crisostomo@earthlink.net

Default Flashcard

You may want to check out the free flashcard program at The CrossWire Bible Society. It works with Greek, Hebrew, and Latin. You may have to play around with it a bit...

Another possibility is the free VocabWorks. They already have sets for Meroitic, Ugaritic, and Middle Egyptian.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools