Thread: Kretzmann's Popular Commentary

Default Kretzmann's Popular Commentary

Now available for BibleWorks Paul Kretzmann's Popular Commentary on the entire Bible.

Check it out.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks, Mike, for providing another useful database for BibleWorks.
    For those who aren't familiar with Kretzmann's Popular Commentary, it is a commentary of the entire Bible (KJV) written in the 1920s for non-theologians (thus the name "Popular," for the people, no need to know the original languages). Paul E. Kretzmann was a conservative Lutheran exegete. Before he produced this Popular Commentary, Kretzmann published a scholarly commentary on the Pastoral Epistles (in German). His Popular Commentary usually makes phrase by phrase comments, especially where the KJV would have been a bit obscure for people who didn't grow up with it (like many Lutherans at that time, who had to switch from German to English due to WW I). Kretzmann preserves some of the distinctive insights of Martin Luther, which are often unfamiliar to English speakers. People who use Matthew Henry could use Kretzmann for good a "second opinion." His brief, sane, evangelical, Christ-centered comments would be a good check on enyone's exegesis.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-09-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Can I get this to work with Bibleworks 6? I tried unzipping it to the "databases" folder, but it doesn't show up in the "Resources" menu.

Brian Kooshian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Can I get this to work with Bibleworks 6? I tried unzipping it to the "databases" folder, but it doesn't show up in the "Resources" menu.

Brian Kooshian

Sorry, no using added User Modules is a new feature to BW7. However, you can still use the commentary by itself by double clicking the HTML help file which is stand-alone.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!