Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

Default problem

I installed BW7 on Vista Home, but it did not work, even not by using the Vista Fix. The problem is that i can not remove BW of my computer or re-instal. Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

Arimatea...

It's hard to give you a solution without knowing all the specs of your computer. Un-installing a program should be as simple as going through the Control Panel and then using the Add/Remove Programs feature. This really hasn't changed much since XP.

If you are unable to un-install the program under this venue, my immediate question would be to ask whether you have Administrator privileges to the computer you are working on. If not, that could be an issue.

Here are a few recommendations:

1.) Make sure you are starting with a clean install of Vista. I've read everyone else's complaints about how bad Vista is and I have no idea what they are talking about. Vista has run great for me from it's inception. My guess is that the people having issues have done one of two things wrong: (A) they have ignored the hardware requirements for the OS, or (B) they did an upgrade over XP despite Microsoft's recommendations to do a clean install. I'd recommend re-installing Vista from scratch. Do a BOOT from the CD, choose to do a new install, delete the current partition information, create a new one, and install Vista on that. (BEWARE: This re-formats your hard drive essentially so backup whatever you need first.)

2.) Follow the BW instructions VERY carefully. I botched it the first time and had to start over. Install BW on your machine BUT DO NOT START THE PROGRAM. Install the patch first. NOW start the program. Should run fine.

Sorry if this does not help.

Lane

Unhappy Vista Patch does not work for me

Hi,

i have installed BW7 today for the first Time and patched it after Installation before the first Start as described.

Vista Ultimate 64bit

After the first attempt BW tells me that there is no bw700.exe. Starting the Patch again it found the File but then it cant acces several other BW Files.

After Rebooting Vista it tells me again that there is no bw700.exe but i can see it at the Explorer.

Starting directly from Explorer with and without Admin there is still no success.

Want to reinstall it today - but uninstalling is impossible. *argh*

Any Suggestions?

Default No problems on Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by redlabour View Post
    Hi,

i have installed BW7 today for the first Time and patched it after Installation before the first Start as described.

Vista Ultimate 64bit

After the first attempt BW tells me that there is no bw700.exe. Starting the Patch again it found the File but then it cant acces several other BW Files.

After Rebooting Vista it tells me again that there is no bw700.exe but i can see it at the Explorer.

Starting directly from Explorer with and without Admin there is still no success.
    I've run BW7 on 32-bit Vista Home Premium since February with few problems. Because of a problem I was having with the popup copy box, I uninstalled and reinstalled BW the other day with no problem.

I don't know if this will help VISTA folks, but I had to install BW7 on my new laptop this way Hard Drive Temporary Folder.

Maybe it will work for ya.

I have Vista Home Premium - and followed instructions on my installation of BW7 on my laptop - and have had no problems at all. No problems with Vista or BW7. (knock on wood) Have been running smoothly for several months now. I update very regularly - perhaps that helps?

Default Vista Problems

Make sure that you have the latest Vista patch, especially if you are on a non-English version of the OS. It was changed about a month ago to fix problems with German versions of Vista.

FYI all the patch does is change permissions on the BW folder so that the users can read AND write to the folder, and it also updates the executable. If you are saavy both of these things can be done manually. For some reason (supposedly security) Microsoft decided to prohibit applications from writing to their own folder in "Program Files". This is the main thing that has to be fixed.

Mike

Default Vista Installation Disk

We plan on a new set of CDs with a Vista-aware installer within the next 2 months. In the mean time the Vista patch, especially the latest one a month ago, seems to work fine for most people. Rumor has it that Service Pack 1 for Vista will be out in January, but I have no idea if it will help the wide spread problems. We do development under Vista and it works fine except for some annoying file problems (like taking 10 minutes to copy a small file). We run with UAC (User authorization control) turned off and recommend that unless you are in a business environment that prevents doing this. I think UAC was aimed at corporate customers anyway (which drives everything Microsoft does) not indivdual home users.

Mike

Some people have also recommended turning off the Remote Differential Compression feature, which they say addresses the problem of taking an inordinate amount of time to copy files. Supposedly this feature attempts to "estimate" file transfer times more accurately prior to actually moving data, and may actually slow the transfer itself way down.
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org