Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

Hybrid View

Default BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

As most of you know today is official release day for Vista, although it has been available for the last month to business customers. If you are upgrading to Vista or buying a new machine with Vista preinstalled, you will need to reinstall BibleWorks following the instructions located at this url:

http://www.bibleworks.com/vistafix/

Basically what you will do is install BibleWorks from your CDs and then before running BibleWorks apply the patch that can be downloaded at the above location. Please follow the instructions carefully.

Patches are being provided for BibleWorks 6 and 7. A Vista installation CD will be made available by the end of the summer. Until then this patch provides what you need to run BW 6 or 7 under Vista.

Versions of BibleWorks before 6.0 are not supported on Vista.

We have spent several weeks now with Vista and believe that BibleWorks now works well with the new Windows release. We cannot, however, recommend Vista yet to our users. It is not, in our opinion, ready for commercial release. The level of backwards compatibility is very low. You can expect to lose a lot of programs in the switch and many of the programs that work are going to have problems. The new security features are somewhat Draconian and very intrusive. Our recommendation is to wait until the first service pack is released later this year. Even then we recommend staying with XP as long as you can unless you have a specific reason to switch - or unless Microsoft reconsiders some of the more intrusive security features. I hope they do, for their sake as well as ours and yours.

We will be very interested to hear the opinions of those of you who do choose to update.

God bless,
    Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks, LLC

Default Great Job!

Good job as usual from Bibleworks. Your patch and procedure worked perfectly. I have not had any problems with the VISTA release. The RC1 beta version I did. All is working great.

Frank

Default "Check For Updates..." Error in Vista

Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Douglas View Post
    Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane
    I always appreciated the efforts of Bibleworks team... you have indeed come a long way in helping people better understand God's word.. But i just hope that you can release a better patch than you posted above.. it seems that even if i applied the patch, Bibleworks is still very unstable in vista and not to mention that it's too slow.. i came accross several times with the picture above not only in getting updates but also when doing some basic stuff in Bibleworks...

Please do improve your patch so that it will work well in vista... Thank you!!!

Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Douglas View Post
    Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane
    Hi Lane!!!

Thanks for yor advice but already did this.

Default problem

I installed BW7 on Vista Home, but it did not work, even not by using the Vista Fix. The problem is that i can not remove BW of my computer or re-instal. Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

Arimatea...

It's hard to give you a solution without knowing all the specs of your computer. Un-installing a program should be as simple as going through the Control Panel and then using the Add/Remove Programs feature. This really hasn't changed much since XP.

If you are unable to un-install the program under this venue, my immediate question would be to ask whether you have Administrator privileges to the computer you are working on. If not, that could be an issue.

Here are a few recommendations:

1.) Make sure you are starting with a clean install of Vista. I've read everyone else's complaints about how bad Vista is and I have no idea what they are talking about. Vista has run great for me from it's inception. My guess is that the people having issues have done one of two things wrong: (A) they have ignored the hardware requirements for the OS, or (B) they did an upgrade over XP despite Microsoft's recommendations to do a clean install. I'd recommend re-installing Vista from scratch. Do a BOOT from the CD, choose to do a new install, delete the current partition information, create a new one, and install Vista on that. (BEWARE: This re-formats your hard drive essentially so backup whatever you need first.)

2.) Follow the BW instructions VERY carefully. I botched it the first time and had to start over. Install BW on your machine BUT DO NOT START THE PROGRAM. Install the patch first. NOW start the program. Should run fine.

Sorry if this does not help.

Lane

Unhappy Vista Patch does not work for me

Hi,

i have installed BW7 today for the first Time and patched it after Installation before the first Start as described.

Vista Ultimate 64bit

After the first attempt BW tells me that there is no bw700.exe. Starting the Patch again it found the File but then it cant acces several other BW Files.

After Rebooting Vista it tells me again that there is no bw700.exe but i can see it at the Explorer.

Starting directly from Explorer with and without Admin there is still no success.

Want to reinstall it today - but uninstalling is impossible. *argh*

Any Suggestions?