Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

Default BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

As most of you know today is official release day for Vista, although it has been available for the last month to business customers. If you are upgrading to Vista or buying a new machine with Vista preinstalled, you will need to reinstall BibleWorks following the instructions located at this url:

http://www.bibleworks.com/vistafix/

Basically what you will do is install BibleWorks from your CDs and then before running BibleWorks apply the patch that can be downloaded at the above location. Please follow the instructions carefully.

Patches are being provided for BibleWorks 6 and 7. A Vista installation CD will be made available by the end of the summer. Until then this patch provides what you need to run BW 6 or 7 under Vista.

Versions of BibleWorks before 6.0 are not supported on Vista.

We have spent several weeks now with Vista and believe that BibleWorks now works well with the new Windows release. We cannot, however, recommend Vista yet to our users. It is not, in our opinion, ready for commercial release. The level of backwards compatibility is very low. You can expect to lose a lot of programs in the switch and many of the programs that work are going to have problems. The new security features are somewhat Draconian and very intrusive. Our recommendation is to wait until the first service pack is released later this year. Even then we recommend staying with XP as long as you can unless you have a specific reason to switch - or unless Microsoft reconsiders some of the more intrusive security features. I hope they do, for their sake as well as ours and yours.

We will be very interested to hear the opinions of those of you who do choose to update.

God bless,
    Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks, LLC

Default Great Job!

Good job as usual from Bibleworks. Your patch and procedure worked perfectly. I have not had any problems with the VISTA release. The RC1 beta version I did. All is working great.

Frank

Default "Check For Updates..." Error in Vista

Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Douglas View Post
    Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane
    I always appreciated the efforts of Bibleworks team... you have indeed come a long way in helping people better understand God's word.. But i just hope that you can release a better patch than you posted above.. it seems that even if i applied the patch, Bibleworks is still very unstable in vista and not to mention that it's too slow.. i came accross several times with the picture above not only in getting updates but also when doing some basic stuff in Bibleworks...

Please do improve your patch so that it will work well in vista... Thank you!!!

Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Douglas View Post
    Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane
    Hi Lane!!!

Thanks for yor advice but already did this.

ok.... i decided to just go back to xp because of Bibleworks 7.... I'm quite disappointed but i love and need bibleworks so much that i got not choice but to back to xp.... i will switch back again to xp if vista is stable enough and bibleworks vista patch will work well....

anyone knows when will bibleworks team going release a bibleworks installer for vista???

Quote Originally Posted by qohelet View Post
    i will switch back again to xp if vista is stable enough and bibleworks vista patch will work well....
    anyone knows when will bibleworks team going release a bibleworks installer for vista???
    I don't think the problem is with BW or the Vista Patch. It seems to be with the Vista OS itself. Note some of the earlier posts indicating serious file system problems with Vista, and that in the opinion of some, it is not even properly ready for commericial release yet. This is something being said by a wide spectrum of programmers and developers - not just the BibleWorks staff. The fact that a major hardware vendor like Dell has now gone back to offering XP on many of their new systems speaks pretty loudly about the problems with Vista, and the public demand for continued XP availability. A patch from BibleWorks can only go so far. It can't fix problems within the Vista architecture itself.

In short, I wouldn't be waiting for a different BW patch, but for a solid Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack to come out which will address some of the inherent flaws of the OS. Until then, stick with XP!!
    Last edited by Steve Watkins; 04-25-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Default BW and Vista

We don't plan on a new CD set with a Vista installer until the end of the summer. That will not change anything however. The current installer followed by an application of the Vista patch accomplishes the same thing. We are aware that there are speed and stability problems under Vista for some people. We have fixed any problems that were reproducible and over which we had control. Users should be aware that Vista places severe stresses on older systems. If you are having speed problems go to the Control Panel and select System. Let us know what the Windows Experience Index is. This could explain slow loading. Also, BW opens and closes a lot of files on startup and if your disk is badly fragmented it could make a big difference. The bottom line though is that Vista is not ready for commercial use. Until Microsoft fixes a long list of outstanding and serious bugs, there is not a lot we can do. We tried to warn people when Vista was released. The warnings are still valid.

For what it is worth we do all development under Vista now and BW works just fine, with the caveat that there are still some security issues that prevent BW from interacting seamlesswith other programs, and the further caveat that disk perormance can degrage suddenly and without any obvious reason. If you don't have Vista we strongly recommend staying with XP until you have no choice. There is very little in Vista that for most people is more than eye candy.

Mike

I'd have to agree - stay away from Vista until SP1. As for BibleWorks, I've had no problems running it since the patch came out, but I have had numerous problems with Vista. I've been running it since their first public beta so I knew what I was getting into, but it's still got me annoyed. It seems no matter how hard I try to like Microsoft, they are working just as hard to make me not like them. Stick with XP for now, install the Google Toolbar for desktop search, and you'll be good to go.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/