Thread: Installing version 7

Smile Installing version 7

Okay, I finally took the plunge and got my upgrade to version 7. I have been using version 6. However, I wanted to review thread(s) discussing this before I moved forward. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Serving Under His Mercy,

Nicholas Alsop

There really shouldn't be any problems. When you install BW7, you will most likely be installing it to a different directory so even if your BW7 installation would go awry, you can still use your older version of BW in the meanwhile.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Red face How about the unlock keys for the BDAG/HALOT and such?

Will they be lost? How do I retrieve them before I proceed?
    Nick
    Serving Under His Mercy,

Nicholas Alsop

Quote Originally Posted by nalsop View Post
    Will they be lost? How do I retrieve them before I proceed?
    Nick
    All the modules are on the last CD of the installation. You load the stuff from that CD and you unlock them either by using the codes that you have (hopefully) saved in a safe place or barring that, you can copy the registration files (in the "init" subdirectory) from your old version to your new version.

Anyway, like I said, installing the new version does NOT delete your old version, so even if there were some problem, in the interim, you can still use your old BW with no loss of functionality.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Installing 7 over 6

Hi Nicholas,

When you install 7 it will ask if you want to uninstall 6. You should say yes. This will not uninstall your unlocks for modules and they will be found during 7 installation.

While 6 and 7 can coexist this is not recommended. If you must run both be sure after 7 is installed to copy all BW7 fonts (in the BW7 root) to the BW6 folder. This is necessary because 6 is too smart for it own britches, as my mom used to say. It will try to reinstall in't own fonts when you run it.

Mike

Smile reading the text

One of the things I want to continue to do is to read the original text while listening to it aurally. I have the Listener's Bible and it helps reinforce by listening in English and reading in the original.
    So my question is (b/c I've seen screen shots of Ver 7) is, is there a way to set up v7 for easy reading like in ver 6?

Thanks for your help.
    Nick
    Serving Under His Mercy,

Nicholas Alsop

Default Vista

With Vista coming out Monday are there any installation issues with the original disks? I know that several updates on the main program affect Vista installation.

Frank

One of the things I want to continue to do is to read the original text while listening to it aurally. I have the Listener's Bible and it helps reinforce by listening in English and reading in the original.
    So my question is (b/c I've seen screen shots of Ver 7) is, is there a way to set up v7 for easy reading like in ver 6?

Thanks for your help.
    Nick
    I'm not sure what set up you would prefer for easy reading. If you mean is there a way to get the most text on the screen, there are a number of options. You can type "p esv" for instance to bring up a window of just the ESV and you can make that as big or as little as you want. Or if you click in the browse window and press "Q" that will also eliminate the Analysis window making the text a larger portion of your screen.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Red face Yeah I installed ver 7 fine BUT

But I didn't uninstall ver 6 first. I thought I'll just leave it. But now I think I'd like to remove it. So I checked both in Add/Remove programs and in the Bibleworks 6 menu items on the start/programs menu and didn't find any uninstall available.

So I was wondering if there some way to remove ver 6 without the uninstall program?

Or alternately, if I uninstall ver 7 will I be "rolled back" to ver 6 and then uninstall it and then install ver 7 again?

Thanks for your help and insight.
    Serving Under His Mercy,

Nicholas Alsop

But I didn't uninstall ver 6 first. I thought I'll just leave it. But now I think I'd like to remove it. So I checked both in Add/Remove programs and in the Bibleworks 6 menu items on the start/programs menu and didn't find any uninstall available.

So I was wondering if there some way to remove ver 6 without the uninstall program?

Or alternately, if I uninstall ver 7 will I be "rolled back" to ver 6 and then uninstall it and then install ver 7 again?

Thanks for your help and insight.

If you're all done with BibleWorks 6 and you've made all the appropriate transfers of whatever files you needed (unlock codes or notes or whatever), you can just delete the BibleWorks 6 directory. Other than that option, if I remember right, you should be able to put in your BibleWorks 6 CD and run Remove program through that.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!