Thread: Slow loading

Default Slow loading

BibleWorks is the slowest-loading app on my machine, and I also use complex software like video-editing and graphic design. (The machine is fast enough: P4 3.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, RAID 0 HD array.)

Why is a text-based program the slowest to load? Why does it open two taskbar windows at first? Can this perhaps be coded better in future releases? Has anyone found ways to get it to load faster?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Chris

Default Not a normal experience

Your experience is not normal (from my perspective). Bibleworks is an incredibly powerful tool and yet it has maintained blazing speed as a major selling point. I suspect something is corrupt. Either the INI file or perhaps a font file, something corrupt is holding you up. I suggest contacting support directly and asking for advice.
    Is this experience consistent from day one for you? Or is it a recent development? If it's recent, hold down your shift button and start Bibleworks. In the resulting dialog select the "delete the bw700.ini file" be warned that this will remove all of your customizations.

While the program runs quite fast while running, it has always loaded somewhat slow for me. This is on any machine I use. I consider it pretty normal behavior for the program. I don't know that there would be much of a way around it, video editing programs and such don't have quite so much data to muck through right at the beginning. I assume one reason BibleWorks runs so fast is because some of the work is done in advance, such as at load time. IMO it's worth the wait. That coffe splash image is a reminder to run get a cup of coffee while it's loading.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

My loading times for comparison, both computers 3+ years old:

- on desktop after closing BW 7 and restarting it: 3 Ghz, 1 gig, XP SP2, with several other programs running already: 5 seconds (Forget the coffee).

- on laptop, first-time loading after starting computer: 1.6 Ghz, 1 gig, XP SP2: 30 seconds; closing, then restarting BW 7: 5 seconds.

So, something's not right considering the ample horse (electron?) power you have. Hope you get it resolved,

Ingo
    Last edited by ingosorke; 01-08-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Default re: Slow Loading

My copy of BW7 also loads slowly: Approximately 25 seconds on a P4, 3.4 GHz, 1 meg RAM, XP Pro SP2. However, once loaded it runs quickly. I compare it to another application I have which loads lots of databases at start-up. Both load slower, but BW7 is the slowest.

Greg

Default BW7 Loading Speed

For me BW7 loads in less than 10 seconds. This is quick, when I compare it to loading in Logos, which takes about 25 seconds. Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 takes about 20 seconds.

But when I use these programs the load speed is not the selling point. It is what I can do with the program and how it helps me in the pastoral and teaching roles that I am involved in.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, everyone. That is very odd that there is such a range of load times. I just timed it and mine is 30 seconds,

I am not inclined to kill my .ini file just to experiment. I noticed when uninstalling some other software just now that BibleWorks is huge! As in 5.3 GB! (Look in Add and Remove Programs.)

Anyway, it runs fast once it loads, so maybe I just need to get over it. Do any of the BW programmers or admins read this board? It would be nice to get an official word on this.

Chris