Thread: Searches (in general) and Morphological Searches

Default Searches (in general) and Morphological Searches

I know that BW7 is powerful but at times not intuitive! When they switched from 6 to 7, I had hoped there would be a more intuitive search program. I even wrote asking that they emulate the format in the Silver Mountain program which is a marvel of graphic simplicity. Without even reading one help page, the newbie there could easily perform the most complicated searches. I am trying to find every example of an infinitive construct in Jonah. In the end it was easier to do it manually with a book. Sigh!

Default I feel your pain

I have also found the BW interface to have a frustratingly steep learning curve, although in the end it can do pretty much anything. An answer to your question:

1. You need to be in the morphological Hebrew search, so type "WTM" in the command line.

2. To limit the search to Jonah, type "l jonah" in the command line. (I just learned that "l" shortcut, and it's a great timesaver.)

3. Then enter this: .*@v*c*

For future reference: You will note that as you enter that that part, there are prompts to show you what the possible codes are.

I just tested it and it seems to work. Good luck.

Chris

p.s. I'd like to thank again those here who have helped me in the past. I'm happy to return the favor.

Default Something's wrong

OK I chose the search version, WTM
    then in the command line I type l jonah .*@c*v*

I get nothing.

You've got to press Enter after "l jonah," then type the search string and press Enter again.

Default order

also, you typed c-v, instead of v-c

Keep in mind that the Help menu in the program will be off immense "help". Press F1 where your mouse is brings up context-sensitive help. Once you use BW for a while, it is a fairly easy to use program. There are still quirks here and there that you have to learn and get used to, but BW is much easier to run than a cell phone or some other such piece of technology. I've never read any help for Microsoft Word and I know that means I'm missing out on a lot of value in the program. That is to say, Word is able to do so much more than I've ever done with it and it's all because I've never bothered to figure out what it can do. All of these programs, intuitive or not, still need you do put some effort into learning how they work. That's why there is help and help videos within BibleWorks and that's also why we're here to help answer your questions like above!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default hmmm

This time I got a search, but it seemed to find every verb in Jonah and not just infinitives:

.*@v*c*

Hm. It worked for me the first way, but try: .*@v?c*

Talking that works!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Hm. It worked for me the first way, but try: .*@v?c*
    OK that version works. It likes the ? rather than the *.....maybee the sheep's blood and incense helped too

Default BW Help

Good. btw, there's a section in BW's Help file that shows you all the codes. Search on "WTM." I'm not comfortable with them myself, but it's sort of like learning to type in a Hebrew font -- gets faster over time, I guess.

Chris