Thread: Semitic Inscriptions

Default Semitic Inscriptions

Prompted by a useful article at the SBL site, I've been playing around with google Books.

It has Cooke's Textbook of North-Semitic Inscriptions.

Now, if it's on google books as a whole, does that mean it's in the public domain?

Now, an official BW module of inscriptions doesn't seem to be in the immediate future, at least last that I heard.(Anyone heard anything else yet?)

So, is there interest in putting together a user-database of inscriptions/translations, untagged at first, from Cooke? I've finally finished my comprehensive exams, and have some time for other things. I'm particularly interested in old Aramaic inscriptions, but I'd like to see as many as possible. Who else is interested?
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 12-12-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Links
    Ben

Default Google and copyright

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman View Post
    Now, if it's on google books as a whole, does that mean it's in the public domain?
    Nope, it just means Google's so powerful that they're willing to push the law on copyright very hard. Google gobbles up stuff and hopes the authors don't have the legal energy (spelled M - O - N - E - Y) to stop them.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    Nope, it just means Google's so powerful that they're willing to push the law on copyright very hard. Google gobbles up stuff and hopes the authors don't have the legal energy (spelled M - O - N - E - Y) to stop them.
    However this particular book that Ben is asking about IS in the public domain from the looks of the copyright year.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Ben, I am certainly interested in this kind of thing. I've actually got a request in to BW support at the moment asking for help in compiling a user database in Hebrew. I've been wanting to input the text of the Lachish letters for starters, but have had some problems with the compiler working with Hebrew. Have you tried any of that yet?

Kris

I spent some time on it a few years ago, and did have some problems, yes. I haven't started toying with it again yet.
    Ben

Thanks for the ebook reference guys. I wouldn't mind migrating some NW inscriptions over (notably the Moabite Stone). Any news on when the Version Database Compiler will handle custom Hebrew versions? It would be nice to have the Inscriptions + the Translation... probably 2 different databases? NWI and NWT? (NW Semitic Inscriptions and NW Semitic Translations)