Thread: Search Question

Question Search Question

Hello everyone

Just a quick question about a search I'm wanting to do (but is rather complicated)

I want to find all instances of an ellision in greek where the morphological form is being supplied by a participle (for example Ephesians 5:21-22).

Would anyone be able to assist me (or point me in the right direction?)

Last edited by gezzar; 04-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.

BibleWorks can search what is in the text, but not what is not in the text. By definition an ellipsis is a conjectured omission from a text. I assume you think that a verb is lacking in Eph. 5:22. That would be an ellipsis, not an elision. (An elision has to do with changing the spelling of a word because of how the following word begins.)

Eph 5:21 begins with a participle, as did verses 19 and 20. So verse 21 is a continuation of Paul's lists of activities that accompany being filled with the Spirit (v. 18). The paragraphing of some printed editions may be throwing people off. (Of course BibleWorks doesn't show the editors' paragraphing, so it's actually easier to see the text as it was originally, without paragraph breaks.) If you look in BYZ or SCR or STE or the Tischendorf apparatus you'll see that there actually is a verb is verse 22 in the vast majority of manuscripts. You may wish to disagree with the editors of the Nestle-Aland and UBS texts at this point.

But even if you accept the GNT text as original, Eph 5:22 can easily be understood as part of the same sentence as verse 21. At the beginning of verse 21 a participle in the nominatiave is followed by a dative. In verse 22 a noun in the nominatiave is followed by a noun in the dative. The participle in verse 21 applies to the nominative noun in verse 22.

If you want to check how participles govern nouns in the same case, you could search for all verses that contain both a participal and a noun in the same case e.g. nominative (.*@vp??n* *@nn*), but this gives over 6000 verses, and it wouldn't list Eph 5:21 or 22, because this would require a search that crosses verse boundaries, which is possible, but in this case wouldn't narrow down the search any.
    I know that some of the e-lists such as b-greek or bibexegesis have discussed these verses in detail in the past few years. You might search their archives for some ideas, though that won't help you set up a search in BibleWorks.

I hope this helps you a little.
    Mark Eddy

Default cross verse boundaries

Don't know, Ari. I want to have "cross verse boundaries" on searches permanently enabled. How?
    Andrew