Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Copying text.

Question Problem Copying text.

I have a problem copying text. Usually it affects copying to Word, from NAU. It occurs in two forms.

The first is that I will copy a passage, the first verse copies , the rest will be Genesis 1:1 repeated.

The second is that at least one verse will repeat. Such as copying I Peter 3:13-22, with the result that Vs 15 appears twice, but not verse 16, the rest of the verses are okay.

The problem cannot be repeated from one session to the next, it appears to be random.

I use Bibleworks 6.0.

I don't think your problem is random. It may have something to do with the verse mapping files. In your example, 1Pe 3:15 in some versions contains the words "in meekness and in fear" while in other versions these words are in verse 16. So if you are trying to copy multiple versions, some of them will copy the first mapped verse twice and skip the second (I think, though I don't have 6.0 any more). If you copy each version individually, you shouldn't ever have this problem. I don't know if this is fixable or not.
    Mark Eddy

It seems that I may have seen it when copying multiple versions. However, I usually copy NAU, such as the I Peter example. I would not see this 'Cross venue' chest within a version would I?

If your search version and display versions are different, it may add to your problem. But I'm not using 6.0 any more, so I can't try it out.
    Mark Eddy

Default copying Hebrew Bible text to Word 2003 document

I am at SBL and trying to decide whether to upgrade from BibleWorks 6 to Bibleworks 7. In Bibleworks 6 Hebrew text copied does not integrate correctly, wrap correctly. Is the problem solved in Bibleworks 7?
    Andrew Fincke

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fincke View Post
    I am at SBL and trying to decide whether to upgrade from BibleWorks 6 to Bibleworks 7. In Bibleworks 6 Hebrew text copied does not integrate correctly, wrap correctly. Is the problem solved in Bibleworks 7?
    Andrew Fincke
    If you're at SBL go to the BibleWorks booth and ask for a demonstration!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

If you can describe your problem copying Hebrew text into Word and then define "correctly" we might be able to answer your question. I just copied an entire Hebrew verse from BW into the middle of a line of English text in Word, and the Hebrew text finishes the English line and put the two last words of the verse onto the next line, which is the way Hebrew text displays in lexicons. So that's "correct" from my perspective.
    Mark Eddy

I'm at SBL in Washington and want to know if there are problems with copying Hebrew text from Bible Works 7 into a Word 2003 document. The exhibitors have Bible Works 7 (of course!) and Word 2000. When copying Hebrew text into a Word 2000 document the wrapping is incorrect. Word 2003 is an improvement over Word 2000, and I want to know if the interface with BibleWorks is better. Also, can you enter Hebrew text in BibleWorks 7 using an Israeli Hebrew keyboard?
    Andrew

Dear Mark,
    I didn't see your reply when I posted the most recent message. It sounds correct as you describe it. However, after the last two words on the second line, where does the continuation in English come? Hopefully at the beginning (left) of the line, in which the two Hebrew words are at the right end - assuming the continuation in English is longer than a line. Also (less important), how does the screen presentation compare to the printout? That is, is the correct line-spacing maintained 1) on the screen? 2) (more important) on the print output? Can you answer the question about the Israeli keyboard? In Word (and Logos) and Dagesh (Hebrew word procesor) the Israeli keyboard is standard.
    Andrew

I'm using Word 2003 on my laptop, and just to show you how Hebrew copies I inserted the first part of Exodus 13:17 in single spaced English verses of Isaiah 64. Here's how it looks:
    8 And now, O LORD, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You are our potter; and all of us are the work of Your hand. #r<a, %r<D< ~yhil{a/ ~x'n"-al{w> ~['h'-ta, h[or>P; xL;v;B. yhiy>w:~yTiv.liP. 9 Do not be exceedingly angry, O LORD, and do not remember iniquity forever. Indeed, please look; all of us are Your people!
    I see a problem in that the first word of Exo 13:17 is yhiy>w:, which I would expect to be the farthest right word on the first line of Hebrew. For some reason ~yTiv.liP., which should follow #r<a, is placed ahead of it, and what should be the second line of Hebrew ended up on the first line. When I pasted the entire Hebrew verse there was a line break at the end, so I couldn't see where the next English verse would continue. In both cases the first line of Hebrew text displays as the second line after it is pasted into Word. If you show this to the BW guys at SBL I'm sure they can take it back to the programmers to look into it.
    When I insert an entire Hebrew verse into an English paragraph, MS Word wants to make the entire paragraph right justified. If I switch it back to left justified, then it also left justifies the Hebrew, which I don't want.
    I can get it to work correctly, but I have to cut and paste a few words first.
    Concerning other Hebrew keyboards, I know that others have used an Israeli keyboard, but I have never tried it myself. So I can't say how well it works.
    I don't print Hebrew very often. But it appears that what I see on the screen is what I get on paper.
    I hope this helps.
    Mark Eddy