Thread: A proposal for a wiki based online commentary

Default A proposal for a wiki based online commentary

I would like to propose an idea. I am looking for a few individuals, 3 or 4, who would be interested in an experiment. I would like to evaluate the concept of an online commentary, developed by and for those who like me are more ‘Jurors’ who evaluate the testimony of ‘expert witnesses’ than experts themselves. Despite the limitations imposed by being less than expert, I would like the commentary to be thorough, covering all topics relevant to a particular book.

There are many of you who are seminary trained, have a basic skill set, but do not consider yourselves to be experts. I am not seminary trained, most of what I know I have learned by reading and teaching. I would prefer those of a Protestant background to keep the scope reasonable. We should be able to present commentary on the underlying Greek, word definitions, semantics, historical background, etc. In other words, this is to be based on the historical grammatical approach. Articles would include discussing the views of commentators, journal articles, etc.

If you are an expert, you would need to be able to work collaboratively with those who are not. Your expertise would be much appreciated, however, not as an instructor or Professor but as a team member. (of course if we really did something stupid you would be expected to correct the error.)

I would propose a three month trial period, then an evaluation to see if the team likes the format, and if others find it to be useful.

The format would be a wiki, so that we can collaborate, and allow public comment (but not public changes). An interesting layout would be similar to the Word Biblical Commentaries, but that is negotiable. Any other layouts would be a team decision.

There would be ground rules. Brotherly concern would be the first requirement. Those who participate must be able to write and discuss their ideas clearly. Different theological persuasions would be good, as long as these can be presented in a friendly environment. Teamwork is a necessity. A negotiated level of commitment would also be required.

Anyone interested, please contact me.

While I don't quite have the ready commitment for this, I will certainly be interested to see how it turns out. I myself have been wondering outloud how to do something similar in the future. I definitely think the idea of the commentary on the Internet would be a wonderful tool and resource, but I have not yet been able to conceptualize a proper format for it all to happen that has been satisfying to me.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default A proposal for a wiki based online commentary

I too, am interested but cannot help but wonder how much effort would or could be made to keep conventional or current teaching and consequently, mindset, out of the work. In other words, there is enough Premil., Postmil. and even Amil. on the scene as it stands now.

My efforts at commentary is not likely to be in keeping with the popular themes out there.

Guess that leaves me out!

JohnB

Quote Originally Posted by millenia05@earthlink.net View Post
    I too, am interested but cannot help but wonder how much effort would or could be made to keep conventional or current teaching and consequently, mindset, out of the work. In other words, there is enough Premil., Postmil. and even Amil. on the scene as it stands now.
    Well as a first suggestion, don't start with the Book of Revelation!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Well as a first suggestion, don't start with the Book of Revelation!
    I agree, Michael!
    We might get Daniel mixed up in the revealing of the finisher of our faith!

And many more comments like this and the suggestion will be made to move elsewhere!

Default Response

I appreciate the comments and the interest. I do not think that differences in theological persepctive should be a deterent. If these can be presented clearly and without diatribe, it seems that the commentary would allow the user to compare different approaches to the topic. The beauty of a wiki is that it can be constructed similar to the 'Viewpoint' series of books, with commentary from different persuasions, then responses. Any level of detail can be added, textual issues could be linked so that the user could jump to a page that covers these if they need to. Word definitions can be linked so that a dictionary could be developed in a Wiki style, with different viewpoints on definitions and the underlying reasons for one deinition over another included.

If it is well managed, it could become a wealth of information for users.

I have been slowly working on a wiki format for this idea. If anyone is interested I will send them a link directly. It is not by any means a complete concept, I would expect those who participate to contribute to decisions regarding the best kind of layout. I really think that a team approach would create a very useful tool for others.

I understand the time issues. That is another reason for the team approach, it allows the tasks to be kept smaller and more focused.

Projects like this are managed in the software world all the time. Open source uses developers form around the world, each contributing a piece to the whole.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in going any further. If you know someone who might be willing to participate, pass the word on.