Thread: alphabetize Greek language

Default alphabetize Greek language

This is marginally related to BibleWorks for some of the projects I'm working on, so I thought i'd toss it out there. Does anyone know how to make Excel alphabetize a Greek Unicode list using the Sort feature? Is this possible? I would think it would be since Modern Greeks must be able to use it to sort alphabetically too, but I have not yet figured out what I need to do to make that work.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Alphabetizing Greek unicode in Excel

I would guess that switching to a Greek operating system would change the alphabetizing. I know, not much of a choice huh? What about selecting Greek as the language from the toolbar?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Does anyone know how to make Excel alphabetize a Greek Unicode list using the Sort feature?
    If you switch to a Greek keyboard within Windows the sort feature performs this properly.

Default helpful, but not quite there

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    If you switch to a Greek keyboard within Windows the sort feature performs this properly.
    I went into the control panel and changed the Regional languages, but I still find this problem happening: When I do sort in Excel it is sorting words which begin with vowels first by words which have accent marks before them so I have listed, then words with vowels and smooth breathing, then words with vowels and rough breathing, and then words that begin with beta, gamma delta, etc.

So the alphabetizing feature doesn't ignore (which I guess would be my preference) accents in its alphabetizing. Is that how you can get it to work too?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    So the alphabetizing feature doesn't ignore (which I guess would be my preference) accents in its alphabetizing. Is that how you can get it to work too?
    I don't think there's any way around this, at least not one I'm familiar with, as the sort feature will still recognize keystrokes in their ASCII order, I believe.

If you could find a way to easily remove/restore the accents and breathing marks, your problem would be solved, but that's a big "if" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I don't think there's any way around this, at least not one I'm familiar with, as the sort feature will still recognize keystrokes in their ASCII order, I believe.

If you could find a way to easily remove/restore the accents and breathing marks, your problem would be solved, but that's a big "if" I think.
    I will have to experiment, that's kind of a pain, but it might be the only way to go. I would have to make a quick macro to get rid of all accent marks/etc. Ultimately what I want to do is alphabetize raw Greek text. I guess I'll just copy the data I have in Column A to Column B, remove the accents and then alphabetize by column B.....
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!