Thread: Changing default English language

Default Changing default English language

I'm wondering if it's possible to change the default English language in BW. On XP, I have my default language set to "English (United Kingdom)" as this does spell checking in Word much better for my purposes than "English (United States)" or (surprisingly, given that I'm Australian) "English (Australia)".

The problem is that every time I start BibleWorks, it installs "English (United States)" as a new language in my language bar, even though I repeatedly delete it from there. And, worse, when I cut-and-paste to Word, it changes my default language there from "English (U.K.)" to "English (U.S.)".

Is there a way around these troubles; or do I just resign myself to using US English?

Thanks,
    David Kummerow.

Default Changing default English language

I suppose you can open the menu Tools > submenu Keyboard layouts, and select the desired Default Keyboard Layout. (There is also a button in the Button bar, with a keyboard icon, which is a shortcut to the same menu.)

Does this not work for you?

Pere Casanellas
    Barcelona

Hi Pere,

Thanks for replying.

My problem doesn't concern choosing a default keyboard layout but the default language. The default English language is American English (as determined by the behaviour of the language bar as whenever BW starts it reloads "English (United States)" as well as copying text into Word). I want to set the default English language (should I say dialect?) to UK English, which in XP I have set as my default language. Basically, I want BW to default to my default system language.

Thanks,
    David Kummerow.

"I want to set the default English language (should I say dialect?) to UK English."

As an Australian living in the US, you should definitely say language, as opposed to dialect! Sorry, I'm no help with the issue at hand

Quote Originally Posted by frdee View Post
    "I want to set the default English language (should I say dialect?) to UK English."

As an Australian living in the US, you should definitely say language, as opposed to dialect! Sorry, I'm no help with the issue at hand
    LOL.

That's part of the problem: I'm an Australian living in Australia preferring to use as default system language UK English. It seems that BW assumes that when a user wants to use English, they want to use US English. I'm an exception and would like to know a work-around.

Maybe I'll still say US English and Australian English are dialects of "English"!

Regards,
    David Kummerow.