Thread: new database: Coverdale Bible (1535)

Default new database: Coverdale Bible (1535)

Bob Venem put together another great olde English Bible version, available at the BibleWorks blog.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 01-20-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

someone else Guest

Default error: locale string is invalid???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Bob Venem put together another great olde English Bible version, available at the BibleWorks blog.
    For Coverdale’s (1535) Bible, I’m following the steps precisely in the readme.txt doc, but when I try to compile the cov version in BW, I keep getting an error message: “The specified locale string is invalid.”

Any suggestions?

Btw, I noticed that there was no cov.vmf file included in the cov.zip file like other versions I've downloaded and compiled into BW. Is there supposed to be a cov.vmf file?

Yes, I'm using BW 7.0 (I know, I know, I need to upgrade to 8.0... hopefully soon... definitely by March 14...)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by someone else; 01-20-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by someone else View Post
    For Coverdale’s (1535) Bible, I’m following the steps precisely in the readme.txt doc, but when I try to compile the cov version in BW, I keep getting an error message: “The specified locale string is invalid.”

Any suggestions?

Btw, I noticed that there was no cov.vmf file included in the cov.zip file like other versions I've downloaded and compiled into BW. Is there supposed to be a cov.vmf file?

Yes, I'm using BW 7.0 (I know, I know, I need to upgrade to 8.0... hopefully soon... definitely by March 14...)

Thanks in advance.
    I can't give you an exact answer since I am not running BW7. I can tell you it works fine on BW8. My guess is that the BW7 Version Database Compiler is slightly different. In the top right quadrant of the Version Database Compiler do you have an option for something called "Locale"? If so, perhaps you can try playing with that.

Otherwise, start over with creating a new .ddf file. In the Version Database Compiler select new, type in the filename cov.ddf (or cov2.ddf if you can write over the old file), browse to cov.txt, give the proper description (Miles Coverdale Bible), version ID (COV), Content (OT and NT) and language (English). And try compiling from that.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default the VMF...

The VMF extension stands for verse-mapping file, it is used to adjust Bible versions that differ slightly in their versification. Many (most? all?) of these VMF files were created by Mark Eddy (to my knowledge, I don't mean to slight anyone else if you made them). It just so happens that Mark didn't make one for these files (or if he did I lost it somewhere). The VMF files aren't used in compiling, but belong in the \databases\ folder (just like the .bww files) after you've compiled the version.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 01-20-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

someone else Guest

Many thanks! That worked!

I have the cov.vmf file. I'll e-mail it to Michael H. Perhaps he could add it to the Coverdale file on the blog.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I have the cov.vmf file. I'll e-mail it to Michael H. Perhaps he could add it to the Coverdale file on the blog.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks the .vmf file is now included in the regular cov.zip. If you're re-downloading it, you don't necessarily have to re-compile, just unzip the cov.vmf file into your \databases\ folder.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!