Thread: PhD school info

Question PhD school info

I am trying to put together a list of PhD schools to apply to this Fall and am looking for any input from others since I know there are people out there from various different backgrounds.

What I'm looking for is a PhD program where there is a strong emphasis in original language study. In my specific case I'm looking for one with a very strong Greek program (it can include Hebrew too, Hebrew just isn't my first love). If this is connected to NT-related studies, then all the more power to the school. Also if the school is progressively-minded in the electronic world, meaning that it encourages and even contributes to new electronic methods and sources both for the purpose of making these things available for other scholarly work and also for allowing more advanced textual analysis (for instance I know there are schools that specifically encourage professors to be involved in online projects like the Online Critical Pseudepigrapha, an open-source TLG, Perseus, Open-text, etc.).

My background academically:
    BA in History '03 (Concordia- Seward (NE)) (but that's a bit deceiving since I had as many Greek classes as I did History classes...)
    MA in Classics (Greek/Latin) Washington University (StLouis) '07
    MDiv Concordia Seminary (StLouis) '07

My background theologically:
    LCMS (as we often say "called liberals by fundamentalists and called fundamentalists by liberals")

Schools that fascinate me so far:
    Notre Dame has a program which looks like it would involve Patristics too which sounds quite enjoyable!
    Duke also offers NT and Early Church programs which could potentially be Greek intensive

and there are probably more, but I'm having a hard time finding good ones, so please let me know if you are able
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I am trying to put together a list of PhD schools to apply to this Fall and am looking for any input from others since I know there are people out there from various different backgrounds...
    There was a discussion along these lines recently on Wieland's TC forum --

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/textualcriticism/

And then Peter Head followed up with additional info on his Evangelical Textual Criticism blog --

http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/

Default does this help?

There is a discussion on Ben Witherington's blog (Mark Goodacre chimes in w/ more on Duke). http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...40241868705252

Also, just last night I was checking out Wheaton's Ph.D. It is very competitive looking, for sure. But if you get in, it looks like a very good program. And it's fully funded. A major part of the application is choosing the mentor to apply for (at Wheaton, that would be Moo, Perrin, or Beale). Karen Jobes is also involved in the teaching process as well.

Other places in the back of my mind (for after my Th.M.): U.Penn., Fuller, U. of Toronto, and McMaster (the cheapest thing after free).

Default On Wheaton

I've only heard third-hand about Wheaton that it's pretty tough and really focused on the dissertation. I guess I'm not top-notch quality when I'm not ready to apply to a PhD program with my thesis prospectus in hand, which is apparently the ideal student for Wheaton's program. Again third-hand information, but a friend's friend who was in the program said he was asked to leave because he was not progressing quickly enough on his dissertation (and he hadn't even finished course work). I'll be newly married, so as much time as I would like to give to the PhD program, I'm not sure I can sacrifice what Wheaton seems to be asking. I have no problem with the 2 year class work and THEN begin dissertation model.......
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default University of Cincinnati

The University of Cincinnati has a wonderfully funded, as in endowed, classics department. You can also cross register at Hebrew Union.

Of course the other advantage is you get to hang out with the good folk at CCU for support.

Dan
    Last edited by ddyke; 09-09-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Talking Great choice ddyke!!!

This school has a library like no other. The classics as well as access to almost any epigraphical or papyri source is here. Not to mention what someone else has already stated, Hebrew Union is just across the street. About three years ago I started looking at libraries of the schools I was interested in and most did not have much if any in the area of epigraphical studies.
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON

I agree with everything that has been said. Really look into Canada and the UK. They have great classics and Anceient history departments as well as Bible and theology.

Think ourside the box slightly. Linguistics and translation theory are things to study.

You must be realistic abour job opportunities. If you study Classics--Greek and Latin, Ancient History, some Bible and many some archaeology, you may find yourself open to more jobs in colleges and seminaries.

If it were me and I had your background in classics already, I would go to Cincinnatti. They have the largest free standing classics Library in the USA. They have everything....I know I spent a lot of time there doing research for my dissertation. They have a lot of scholarships. And yes, HUC-JIR is across the street!! one of the finest Judaica and biblical studies libraries in America! And besides you can study at HUC-JIR Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, and Syriac with Rabbi Dr. Isaak Jerusalami...(He also has a degree in classis and reads Greek and Latin prettty well)

Best wishes
    E. Wray Bryant
    Associate Professor
    Capital University
    1 College and Main
    Columbus, Ohio 43209
    wbryant@capital.edu

Default Cincinnati

I talked with one guy today and he said that you would come out owing zero dollars if you went to UC.

Mike if you want to visit I can get you a room and feed you while you look the place over.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ddyke View Post
    I talked with one guy today and he said that you would come out owing zero dollars if you went to UC.

Mike if you want to visit I can get you a room and feed you while you look the place over.

Dan
    I will definitely look into this one. It had not previously been on my list before, so I'll have to learn a little about the program there.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by WBryant View Post
    And besides you can study at HUC-JIR Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, and Syriac with Rabbi Dr. Isaak Jerusalami...(He also has a degree in classis and reads Greek and Latin prettty well)
    I worked on a PhD, at HUC before having to discontinue it in 1994 and Jerusalami is definitely worth studying under.