Thread: Utility: Create Module Index - Bible steps - references

-----------------------------
    Last edited by pasquale; 06-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Not that I know of. It would probably be easier to create a Macro that would search the text for

"Mat 1," and replace it with "Mat 1:" , etc.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Text Editor

Find a text editor with a powerful search and replace utility.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP COPY BEFORE YOU START IN CASE YOU SCREW UP OR I DID IN DESCRIBING THIS. Sorry for yelling but I wanted this seen.

I use Ultra Edit 12 by IDM. I set the settings to search for exact replacement then here is what I do

1. Make sure every verse is on the same line.
    2. Search for the carriage return which in this case is entered as ^p and replace that with ^pMat 1:

Suddenly all lines begin correctly.

I had ones text where each verse was hacked up over several lines, but luckily there was a double carriage return after each paragraph. Here is what I did

1. I searched for a space followed by a carriage return and replaced it with a carriage return. Why? Because some texts have a space at the end of a line. I repeat this until the text editor says there are no more found.
    2. Then search for two carriage returns ^p^p and replace them with a string that is impossible in Greek or English, such as danieldyke.
    3. Then search for a single carriage return (^p) and replace with a space. Suddenly your document is one paragraph long. Ultra edit supports huge paragraphs.
    4. Last of all search for your fake string and replace with a single carriage return ^p. Voila, the text is now laid out correctly and ready to do the procedure in the first example.

This sounds like a lot of work but it only takes a couple of minutes.

When you have a text done do the following:

1. Search for two spaces and replace with one.

2. Search for backwards combinations of diacriticals. For example when an omega has a circumflex and a iota subscript they are in that order in BibleWorks. Search for the |/ and replace with /|. Now everything is orderly and the same.

Dan
    Last edited by ddyke; 08-29-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Default Chapter & verse separaters

Hi Pasquale,

If I understand correctly, you have a document that uses the comma (',') to separate between chapter and verse, but the custom module index tool isn't tagging the document correctly. There is a way to fix that. In the booknames file used to create custom modules, the first lines of the bookname file includes instructions for how the indexing program reads the text. The first line lists the chapter & verse separaters. If you add the comma to the first line after the colon, then the indexer will find and tag references that use commas to separate the chapter and verse reference. Below is an example of the first lines. Notice the comma I added to the end of the first line, and the comma removed from the second line. (I needed to make these changes in the Zerwick files when I compiled that book.)

Glenn

#BETWEEN_CHAPTER_VERSE_MARKERS :,
    #BETWEEN_REF_MARKERS ;
    #RANGE_MARKERS -
    #CHAPTER_NUMS_CAN_BE_PARENNED n
    #SKIP_TAGS n
    #PRINT_BR_TAG_BTN_LINES y
    #USE_AGGRESSIVE_LOOKAHEAD n
    Gen,Genesis,Gen.,Gen,Genesis,1mo,Gn,Gn.,Ge
    Exo,Exodus,Exod.,Exo,Exodus,2mo,Ex
    Lev,Leviticus,Lev.,Lev,Leviticus,3mo,Lv,Le

Default Using the mymodule-books.txt file...

Hmmm... It seems that Pasquale is trying to tag a module that does not have the BibleWorks versification (e.g. three letters, space, chapter number, colon, verse number). If this is the case, and Pasquale is trying to convert an HTML text into the proper BibleWorks format so that it could be "tagged" before compiling the CHM help file, then is there not a better way?

In the example "sampleHTMLhelp.zip" file included in BW7, there is the mymodule-books.txt file. In it, it contains a list of booknames similar to the bookname (*.bna) files used normally in BibleWorks. At the top of the page, however there are the following default options:
    #BETWEEN_CHAPTER_VERSE_MARKERS :
    #BETWEEN_REF_MARKERS ;,
    #RANGE_MARKERS -
    #SKIP_TAGS n
    It seems that in Pasquale's case, he would have to change the options on lines 1 & 2, depending on how chapters and verses are numbered and how independent references are separated in his document. You would change the : to a , and then change the ;, to whatever is used to separate references.

I don't see ANY documentation on this in the help files. So, if one of the BibleWorks staff could chime in here to let us know what the other options mean, it may be helpful!

The problem with using a simple "find and replace" method is that you are inadvertently modifying the original text. The change is minor, but when going from a print to an electronic database, or going from one electronic source to another, it's probably best to represent the original as accurately as possible.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    I don't see ANY documentation on this in the help files. So, if one of the BibleWorks staff could chime in here to let us know what the other options mean, it may be helpful!
    Wow Glenn, you beat me to the punch!

Could the BW staff document exactly what each line of the heading in the mymodule-books.txt file does and how it can be changed to accomodate different versification schemes?

Default Requesting instructions

Hi Jim,

I sent an email to Mike Bushell, asking for instructions. (He wrote the program to create the custom module index.) I'll see what he provides. Not sure how soon he can get to it.

I have never had to change any of the lines except the first two, but maybe I will after I learn what the others do!

BTW, a fairly common problem I ran into--there are some German bookname abbreviations for some of the books, and they can cause false tags. One of the German abbreviations is He for Hebrews. This works fine in a German text (since you won't find the word He), but it doesn't work well in an English text. If you run across odd tagging, check the bookname file to see if there are some abbreviations you need to add or delete.

Glenn

Default Instructions for bookname file settings

Hi Jim,

Here are the instructions for the bookname file settings at the top of the file. (It is actually Michael Tan's code. My mistake.) I think these will be added to the BW help file, as well.

Glenn
    ==============

#BETWEEN_CHAPTER_VERSE_MARKERS :
    Designates the characters that can appear between a chapter and verse reference. In the US, it is usually ':' (e.g. John 3:16, Rom 3:23). In the UK, it is usually '.' (e.g. John 3.16, Rom 3.23).

#BETWEEN_REF_MARKERS ;,
    Designates the characters used between references. For example, in this example, "John 3:16; Rom 3:23", the ";" is used between references. For example, in this example, "John 3:16; Rom 3:23, 6:23", the ";" and "," are used between references.

#RANGE_MARKERS -
    Designates the characters used to designate a range of verses or chapters (e.g. "-" denotes a range of verses in the text "Joh 1:1-13").

When set to 'y', this identifies parenthetical references such as "(3:23)"
    in the text.

#SKIP_TAGS n
    When set to 'y', this ignores text surrounded by <>, such as "<verse ref val="joh 1">".

When generating HTML from the input file, setting this value to 'y' will insert a <br> tag between lines.

When set to 'y', this can help identify references that are being missed. It may, however, introduce errors, depending on the content of the input file.

Default Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Jim,

Here are the instructions for the bookname file settings at the top of the file.

Glenn
    Thanks Glenn! You're a prince!