Thread: Are Chrysostom or Augustine available anywhere?

Default Are Chrysostom or Augustine available anywhere?

Hi,
    I've been trying to find if there are any user created BW databases with Chrysostom or Augistine in them.
    I couldn't find any, so thought I would try asking here.
    Has anyone made one yet?
    If not, does anyone know where I can find reliable copies of these?

Peace
    Dunk

That's a great suggestion! You know, it would be cool if someone could write a program that would parse ThML. Then all of www.ccel.org would be open to BW. You could have Chrys., Aug., or any of the Early Church Fathers.
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Default Fathers Module

I think it would be quite helpful to place the Church Fathers into a BibleWorks Module that could be accessed under the Resource Summary tab.

This would provide a kind of Ancient Christian Commentary for BibleWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    I think it would be quite helpful to place the Church Fathers into a BibleWorks Module that could be accessed under the Resource Summary tab.

This would provide a kind of Ancient Christian Commentary for BibleWorks.
    Agreed! I've asked BW before about the Church Fathers. It sounds like it's on the list, but there are many things on the list, so I can't tell you how high it is on their priority list. From past experience, if they use the CCEL text which is public domain, there would likely not be a charge for the Church Fathers (i.e. it would be part of the base program). Knowing that, I am sure it's not too cost-effective to divert a lot of resources to something that's not going to bring money back. But I do look forward to it being completed. The ANF module which is largely Brian's work is nice, but obviously not what the ideal could be.

But if there's anyone out there who would be good at converting the CCEL files into HTML Help format that would work in BibleWorks, please do chime in
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default CCEL copyright status

On the THml files you could try contacting Harry Platinga at CCEL and asking for permission. I'm not sure if it would be granted or not, but it could be a possibility. This is what the Copyright page there said:

Most of the books at the Christian Classics Ethereal library are in the public domain. A few are public domain in the United States but not in Europe; you should check local copyright status before copying outside of the United States. A few are still under a publisher's copyright and are used by permission; these are noted on the book information page.
    You may use the text version of any public domain book at the CCEL in any way you please, including republishing it. However, the XML and other versions derived from the XML (all non-text versions) are copyrighted. They may be used for non-profit personal, educational, and church purposes involving fewer than 25 copies of a book without further permission. However, you should contact us for permission to republish CCEL works or to use them commercially.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!