Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Module: Mark in the Washington Codex

Question Problem with Resource link

I attempted to follow the instructions for the new Mark resource.
    When I click on the link in the resource summary window I get a web page opening with an error message.

Where have I gone wrong?
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    http://gontroppo.blogspot.com/
    What I'm Reading
    http://themusickeplace.blogspot.com/

Default Error message?

What is the error message that you are getting? Could you attach a screen-shot showing the error message, what verse you were looking at, and what link you were trying to click?
    - Ewan

Hi Ewan

I don't know how to create a screen shot

But this is the error message I get:

Navigation to the web page was cancelled.

If I click on the entry at the left in the Washington Codex Help menu

I get: This program cannot display the web page

Thanks for responding.
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    What I'm Reading

I am also having problems getting this module to work. I unzipped it directly to my BW7 databases folder, rather than unzipping it elsewhere and copying the files into the databases folder.
    In any case, when I am at Mark 1:1 and click on the "Freer Collection" line in the Resources tab for Mar 1:1-7, here's what I get:
    [IMG]res://shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif[/IMG]The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.Please try the following:
    • <LI id=instructionsText1>Click the [IMG]res://shdoclc.dll/refresh.gif[/IMG] Refresh button, or try again later.
      <LI id=instructionsText2>If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
      <LI id=instructionsText3>To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). <LI id=list4>See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
      1. <LI id=instructionText6>Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. <LI id=instructionText7>On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
      2. Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
      <LI id=instructionsText5>Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. <LI id=instructionsText4>If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the [IMG]res://shdoclc.dll/back.gif[/IMG] Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

I wasn't on line, so I got on line, but when I dialed up my internet connection, I get the same error message. My computer doesn't seem even to be trying to access these files on line, but it isn't finding them on my computer either.
    Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?
    Mark Eddy

Question

Hi Mark

Are you using IE 7 beta?

I am and am also having this problem with one other program [but I forget which one]

Is the problem that IE7 doesn't like the Help file?
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    What I'm Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo View Post
    Hi Mark

Are you using IE 7 beta?

I am and am also having this problem with one other program [but I forget which one]

Is the problem that IE7 doesn't like the Help file?
    I'm just using whatever version of internet explorer Microsoft automatically updates on my computer. I don't think IE has updated here recently, but I never can tell. I know I'm not intentionally using a beta.
    I tried the same steps again today, and I got a different error message[IMG]res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif[/IMG]Action canceled

Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.Please try the following:
    • <LI id=instructionsText2>Click the [IMG]res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/refresh.gif[/IMG] Refresh button, or try again later.
      <LI id=instructionsText3>If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.
    • For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer

I still think that since the download was so big, the images should be on my hard drive, so Windows shouldn't try to look them up on the internet. I would guess that some line of code is misdirecting the search for the images of the Freer ms.
    Mark Eddy

Default Same Problem

Mark, do you still have this problem or were you able to resolve it? Did you go to tech support?

I've got the same problem with any module that uses the internet. Before I contact tech support I just wanted to see if you had it resolved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Mark, do you still have this problem or were you able to resolve it? Did you go to tech support?

I've got the same problem with any module that uses the internet. Before I contact tech support I just wanted to see if you had it resolved.

Thanks
    Yes, I still have this problem. No, I did not ask tech support for help, since this is a user database. BW takes no responsibility for user databases, since they did not create them.
    I was hoping that the creator of this user database might double check to see if his directions for us were exactly what he did on his computer, or if he placed the files somewhere other than the BibleWorks 7 databases folder. Or if his Washington Mark HTML Help file contains a command to search the web for the images of the Freer manscript, rather than commanding BW to search in the BW7 databases folder. I tried opening the HTML Help file from within My Computer, and choosing BW to open it. I get the following message:
    Action canceled

Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.Please try the following:
    • <LI id=instructionsText2>Click the [IMG]res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/refresh.gif[/IMG] Refresh button, or try again later.
      <LI id=instructionsText3>If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.
    • For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

So unless someone has a quick suggestion, I'll have to work my way through Windows Help. Perhaps a setting on my computer can be changed.
    Mark Eddy

Default Won't open

I had the same problem with a couple databases like this. Two things to try:

* Make sure you've actually renamed the file from *-hdm to *.hdm
    * Make sure the file is unlocked (right click on it and uncheck the option if it's locked)

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Talking Thanks!

Wow, that did it. I've not ever seen this before but when I right-clicked on the files and selected "Properties" there was a security warning that the file might be blocked because it came from another computer. When I "Unblocked" it, everything worked fine.

I had checked everywhere I knew to check, IE security settings, Firewall, etc and could not understand why some modules worked and others did not.

Thanks again, Dale. Your simple post fixed my problem and I'm very grateful!