Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Module: Mark in the Washington Codex

Hybrid View

Arrow New Module: Mark in the Washington Codex

Ewan MacLeod has made available a module containing images of The Gospel of Mark in the Washington Codex (52MB)!

The Washington Codex (a.k.a. Codex Washingtonianus, Codex Freerianus, W, or 032) is a fifth century uncial codex containing the Four Gospels. Aland & Aland rate it with a category III (p. 116). It is housed in the Freer Gallery of Art at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Of particular interest is the "Freer Logion" found at the end of the manuscript after Mark 16:14:
    κἀκεῖνοι ἀπελογοῦντο λέγοντες ὅτι ὁ αἰὼν οὗτος τῆς ἀνομίας καὶ τῆς ἀπιστίας ὑπὸ τὸν σατανᾶν ἐστιν, ὁ μὴ ἐῶν τὰ ὑπὸ τῶν πνευμάτων ἀκάθαρτα τὴν ἀλήθειαν τοῦ θεοῦ καταλαβέσθαι δύναμιν· διὰ τοῦτο ἀποκάλυψόν σου τὴν δικαιοσύνην ἤδη, ἐκεῖνοι ἔλεγον τῷ χριστῷ. καὶ ὁ χριστὸς ἐκείνοις προσέλεγεν ὅτι πεπλήρωται ὁ ὅρος τῶν ἐτῶν τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ σατανᾶ, ἀλλὰ ἐγγίζει ἄλλα δεῖνα· καὶ ὑπὲρ ὣν ἐγὼ ἁμαρτησάντων παρεδόθην εἰς θανατὸν ἵνα ὑποστρέψωσιν εἰς τὴν ἀλήθειαν καὶ μηκέτι ἁμαρτήσωσιν ἵνα τὴν ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ πνευματικὴν καὶ ἄφθαρτον τῆς δικαιοσύνης δόξαν κληρονομήσωσιν. (Text from Evans, WBC 34B, p. 543.)

And they excused themselves, saying, ‘This age of lawlessness and unbelief is under Satan, who does not allow the truth and power of God to prevail over the unclean things of the spirits [or, does not allow what lies under the unclean spirits to understand the truth and power of God]. Therefore reveal your righteousness now’ – thus they spoke to Christ. And Christ replied to them, ‘The term of years of Satan’s power has been fulfilled, but other terrible things draw near. And for those who have sinned I was handed over to death, that they may return to the truth and sin no more, in order that they may inherit the spiritual and incorruptible glory of righteousness that is in heaven.’ (Trans. from Metzger, Textual Commentary, p. 104.)
    Here's the publication information for this module: Facsimile of the Washington Manuscript of the Four Gospels in the Freer Collection with an Introduction by Henry A. Sanders. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1912. Compiled with permission by Ewan MacLeod from the files at http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/GospelOfMark/.

For more information on the Washington Codex and the Freer Logion, check out the following:
    • Hurtado, L. W. 1981. Text-Critical Methodology and the Pre-Caesarean Text: Codex W in the Gospel of Mark. SD 43. Grand Rapids. Find in a Library!
    • Hurtado, L. W. 1992. "Codex Washintonianus," Anchor Bible Dictionary 1:1075. Find in a Library!
    • J. Jeremias. 1991. “The Freer Logion.” Pages 248-49 in vol. 1 of New Testament Apocrypha, ed. W. Schneemelcher, rev. ed., 2 vols. Cambridge: James Clarke; Louisville: Westminster John Knox. Find in a Library!
    • "Codex Washingtonianus" in Wikipedia.
    • "Codex Washingtonensis" by Timothy W. Seid at Earlham School of Religion.

PS: To install, download the zipped folder (52MB!), unzip it and then move the files into your bibleworks 7/databases folder. Restart BibleWorks, navigate to a verse in Mark and then follow the link in the Resource Summary Window.
    Last edited by jdarlack; 08-15-2006 at 11:35 AM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Thanks and please add feedback

Much thanks to Ewan for all of his hard work on this project!! Also please add your feedback either to this post or to the blog:

Is this module helpful for you? Would you like to see more modules like this, etc?

Ewan is charitably donating a lot of time and energy to make projects like these possible, but he wants to know also if this is something that is appreciated and needed or if he should be using his time for other projects he's working on instead.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

That is a wonderful module.
    Thanks so much for making it available.
    It makes a real difference being able to see the actual manuscript.
    Thanks
    Dunk

This is very nice! I appreciate all the hard work, and it works beautifully.

I was just thinking the other day about how TC could open up to the average scholar even more if actual texts were hyperlinked to Bibleworks texts. In fact, I just went over to a page at Princeton and dropped some images of papyrii in my user notes for some TC I'm doing as I translate through.

I had not thought of doing this way. I'm inspired. Now just to make the time...

Thank you again!

Wink shameless self promotion; collaboration on modules

Quote Originally Posted by Jonhenry View Post
    I was just thinking the other day about how TC could open up to the average scholar even more if actual texts were hyperlinked to Bibleworks texts. In fact, I just went over to a page at Princeton and dropped some images of papyrii in my user notes for some TC I'm doing as I translate through.
    Pardon the shameless self promotion, Jonhenry, but I could not help but notice you linked to Princeton's images of papyri on the Epistle of James. At my blog, James the Just, I just posted several blog posts that coallated the book of James with various NT manuscripts:It would not be difficult to take this information into a CHM module, if you would be interested. I may just do it for my own viewing pleasure!

If other BibleWorks users are interested in particular books of the New Testament, then take a look at some of these manuscripts online. Part of the "hard work" of putting together a module like the "Mark in the Washington Codex" is assigning the correct verses to each page of the manuscript. Once the manuscripts are indexed according to what passage is covered the rest of the work is "relatively easy." If you get a list put together for a book you're interested in, then post it to the forum.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

I think that if more photo's were linked to BW then this would be a real step forward for textual criticism.

B.T.W Does anyone know how to zoom in on the manucript photo without going back up to the top where the 'larger' button is?
    I managed to do it accidently whilst playing with the mouse and keys at the same time but can't remember what I did!
    Thanks
    Dunk.

could someone tell me how this module was compiled? I assume there was a directory of html and images, and a program was run to create the chm with proper links.
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Wink Thanks!

This is a very nice tool. Thank you for doing the work and sharing it with us. Each one of these contributions makes BibleWorks even more useful.

Question Problem with Resource link

I attempted to follow the instructions for the new Mark resource.
    When I click on the link in the resource summary window I get a web page opening with an error message.

Where have I gone wrong?
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    http://gontroppo.blogspot.com/
    What I'm Reading
    http://themusickeplace.blogspot.com/

Default Error message?

What is the error message that you are getting? Could you attach a screen-shot showing the error message, what verse you were looking at, and what link you were trying to click?
    - Ewan