Thread: Compiling problem - MRC

Hybrid View

Question Compiling problem - MRC

I recently acquired the Messianic Renewed Covenant (MRC) New Testament on CD. It had instructions for using the Version Database Compiler to put it into BW version 5. On the CD there was a mrc.ddf file and a mrc.txt file that contained the compilable text.

I am using BW 6.0.008s - not version 5. I followed these instructions to the T - everything seemed to be "kosher" on the VDC page. But each time I went through the process, when I clicked the "Compile" button, BW6 immediately aborted with the message that a log file had been created and the program needed to be restarted. This happened 3 times before I gave up.

I can't locate a log file for these failures.

Has anyone been successful in compiling the MRC in BW6?

Are there any tricks for BW version 6 that are different than the instructions for BW version 5?

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark R. Ensign
    Adot Adonai
    Amarillo, Texas

Default Compling problem

Next time you try to compile, make sure that the text after "c:\program files\", in fields 1 and 2 of the VDC dialog box, says "bibleworks 6"! I have had problems in the past with this myself, when I compiled databases that I had prepared in 5.0 and then transfered to 6.0. If the ddf was written by someone using 5.0, they probably have "bibleworks 5" in the fields. Also, make sure that both your ddf and txt files are in your your "bibleworks 6\userdb" folder. Once you are sure they are in the right place, open the VDC menu, open the mrc.ddf file and then check that both fields 1 and 2 have the following text displayed.

1. Database Description File (DDF)
    c:\program files\bibleworks 6\userdb\mrc.ddf

2. Database Raw Text File
    c:\program files\bibleworks 6\userdb\mrc.txt

Hopefully that will do the trick.

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Compiling problem - MRC

Thank you, Jim, for the tips.

I had been trying to compile using the ddf and txt files on the CD for the MRC without copying them to the userdb folder.

Following your advice, I copied both to the userdb folder and pointed there in the Version Database Compiler. But I got the same result, an immediate abort. Perhaps there is a problem in the TXT file. Likely I'll have to go back to the MRC authors to get them to fix something.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Mark R. Ensign
    Adot Adonai
    Amarillo, TX

If you have this file from a CD, check to make sure that the file attributes of the text file are not set to "read only". I expect that this would be a good way for the program to abort prematurely.

Glenn

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver
    If you have this file from a CD, check to make sure that the file attributes of the text file are not set to "read only". I expect that this would be a good way for the program to abort prematurely.

Glenn
    WOW! That was the problem, Glenn. I am impressed with your tip and very grateful. I will pass this tip on to others I know who are having this problem. Thanks for your help and taking time to point out this simple solution.

Mark R. Ensign
    Adot Adonai
    Amarillo, TX