Thread: Basic Problems

Unhappy Basic Problems

How do I search for all occurances of a word regardless of gender, number, case declention (nom, gen, dat, acc) or conjugation be it a verb, in the Bible? Do I have to spell each way I'd like for each search (i have a hard time spelling them properly as well) or can I tell it the root or something to latch onto the other variations? Thanks,

Guy

PS Is there a way of searching the GNT's apparatus in Bibleworks?
    PPS Is there a way to get certain words to hilite in all languages? For instance, I'd like to find all uses of akouw (aorist, perfect, present, future, 1st, 2nd, 3rd person, etc) and have it hilited as it is in greek, and as it has been translated in english.
    PPSS For certain words in the BNT Greek Bible, I will mouse-over them and they are not parsed--how do I find out parsing info for them? Is this a glitch in the program?

Smile Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by funguyom
    How do I search for all occurances of a word regardless of gender, number, case declention (nom, gen, dat, acc) or conjugation...
    The easiest way is right click on the word with your mouse and select from the menu "Search on lemma."
    PS Is there a way of searching the GNT's apparatus in Bibleworks?
    As of now, there is no textual "apparatus" for the GNT in BibleWorks.
    PPS Is there a way to get certain words to hilite in all languages? For instance, I'd like to find all uses of akouw ... and have it hilited as it is in greek, and as it has been translated in english.
    This is not a feature that BibleWorks has now, but I think it would be a great one to add! The closest thing to what you are asking would be to open up the KJV or the NAU and scroll over any one of the words. This should bring up the "Strongs" number, the Greek/Hebrew word and a small definition in the Auto Info Window. There you can see what word is used in Greek or Hebrew, and then you can then double click on the Hebrew or Greek word in the Auto Info Window and it will generate a list of all the places where that word is found. That list can be used to see how the word is translated in each version.
    PPSS For certain words in the BNT Greek Bible, I will mouse-over them and they are not parsed--how do I find out parsing info for them? Is this a glitch in the program?
    I am not sure what you are speaking of here. Are you referring to the small boxes that appear near your mouse pointer after a few seconds of "lingering" over a Greek word? If that's the case, the poblem may be that you have not been "lingering" long enough. To check to see if there is actually a glitch or a problem, pay attention to the Auto Info Window, because that will change automatically for each word. If that does not change to the correct lexical and morphological data, then there may very well be a glitch.

I hope this helps. I am sure that others may have better suggestions, but perhaps these will get you going!
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Hi guy,

I would like to add an encouragement to read the manual and view the tutoral videos that come with BWs. You usally get a prompt answer from this list but these material are right at your finger tips.

Another way to get all the forms is to use the command center. I'll mention three things to be aware of.

You may or may not want to use search limits. If you want to search the whole Bible, before you do a search type "L" in the command center (upper or lower case is fine) and hit 'enter'. If you want to search just the New Testament "l nt" or if you want to confine your search to Romans ''l rom", etc.

Then in the command center you may select your search version: bgt or bgm for example. Type enter. Unless your version is already selected.

Now for the search. Type 'period or semi-colon", your root word, the @ sign and the *. An example would like like this: .example@*. Hit enter. The * is a wild card.

Hope this is helpful as well.

Al

Default A text version (BNT) is not the same as a Morph version (BNM)

How do I search for all occurances of a word regardless of gender, number, case declention (nom, gen, dat, acc) or conjugation be it a verb, in the Bible?
    One of the most important things to understand in BibleWorks (or any electronic Bible search program) is the difference between a "Text-Version" and a Morphology Version.

BNT = Simply the text of the NA27 Greek New Testament. If you were to make this your search version (i.e. type BNT on the command line). You would have to type every form of a word you were looking for individually to find, for example the nom, gen, dat, acc. This search is simply searching the actual text of the NA27 for exactly what you type on the command line.

BNM = The text of the NA27 with every word tagged according to its parts. Notice that if you "right-click" on a word in the results window and choose "Search on Lemma" the search version (The three initials in the large box to the left of the command line) canges to BNM. You could do the same thing by setting your search version to BNM and then simly typing a period and the lexical form of the word you are looking for. This search will then return every form of that word. This is due to the difference in the databases. The BNM is not simply a database of the actual words in the NA27 and therefore allows you to search for multiple forms.

This, on one hand, is a very simplified explanation of the difference in a text version and a morphology version. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU READ THE MANUAL!!!! It is well written and absolutely critical that one understands these concepts.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

I'm sorry, I think my problem was with the Septuagent--there have been words which I hover my mouse over (which usually gives me an english definition and a parsing for) that are without information content--ie no feedback, that is I have no clue what the Septuagent Greek is saying. Any suggestions?
    Guy

Hello funguyom,

What version of BW are you using? I am not sure if this will solve your problem, but older versions did not have complete information for the LXX (3.5 did not). The words were not parsed and there was no lexica information for the words, though you could search the LXX and search for a LXX word in the NT, or vice versa. Newer versions of BW do display morphological information and definitions (at least v.5.0 does).

Joshua

I'm sorry, I think my problem was with the Septuagent--there have been words which I hover my mouse over (which usually gives me an english definition and a parsing for) that are without information content--ie no feedback, that is I have no clue what the Septuagent Greek is saying. Any suggestions?
    Guy
    Hi,

If you look in the AI Window (if you have it turned on) you can see info on those words that are not parsed. See for instance evpekra,tei in Gen. 7.19. You can see the info in the AI Window.

Mark Langley
    Sovereign Grace Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

Lightbulb

PPS Is there a way to get certain words to hilite in all languages? For instance, I'd like to find all uses of akouw (aorist, perfect, present, future, 1st, 2nd, 3rd person, etc) and have it hilited as it is in greek, and as it has been translated in english.
    Hello funguyom,

Search for the word in the BNM (or BGM for LXX and NT combined). Go through the list of verses noting the various english translations, then learn to build an ASE query and build an AND query for akouw in BNM and, using an inclusion list, all the english words in the NIV, or NRSV or whichever translation you use, that you found from the initial akouw query. This will return all the occurances of akouw in BNM and listen, hear, etc in your english trans and both will be highlighted. Check out the ASE examples MULTIVER and INCLUSN.

Like previously stated, learning the manual and listening/watching the instruction videos accompanied by mimicking their actions cannot be replaced. The more you learn from them, the more BW6 will wow you.
    Last edited by frankenfro; 05-03-2004 at 11:03 AM.