Thread: Finding various Apocryphal books in texts

Default Finding various Apocryphal books in texts

I am interested in finding all texts which have the Prayer of Manasseh and Psalm 151. Is there a quick way to find which versions have those books? I would imagine that some type of search could be done to find versions which contain those book names (Prm and Psx), but I don't know how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Burer
    Dallas Theological Seminary

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burer
    I am interested in finding all texts which have the Prayer of Manasseh and Psalm 151. Is there a quick way to find which versions have those books? I would imagine that some type of search could be done to find versions which contain those book names (Prm and Psx), but I don't know how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Burer
    Dallas Theological Seminary
    Hi Michael,

Unless one is familiar with the texts that have them you will have to do a little searching. One way to do that is to load all the versions by going to the "Choose Display Versions" icon (or go to the menu View and select "choose Display Versions") and select all the versions and then if you place your mouse over the Version ID in the results windows the AI window will display info regarding the version you have the mouse over. Scoll down in the AI window you will see a heading titled "Books". It will list all the books in that particular version. (Of course you will have to have installed all the versions from the CD to be able to do this.)

I am not sure how you would find Psa 151 without actually looking in the show Browse list boxes in the header of the results window for each version. Some of the versions one could easily rule out.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mark Langley; 05-01-2004 at 08:49 PM. Reason: additional comments
    Mark Langley
    Sovereign Grace Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

Default Finding books

Dear Mark (and Mike),

You are so close, Mark! If you "d all" on the command line to display all the available texts, and then choose the books you are looking for, all the versions (and only those versions) will be displayed.

In this case, display all versions ("d all" on command line), then choose prm 1:1 to see all of the Prayer of Manasseh, and then psx 1:1 for Psalm 151.

Glenn

Default Finding versions (and then clearing them)

Now that you have every one of your versions displaying, you probably want to clear the list. If you enter "d c" on the command line, you will clear all the versions except your search version.

Of course, if you have favorites set up, you can enter those.

Glenn

Default Finding books

Dear Mark,

After I posted I realized that I already had the NRSV as the search version, so I found them right away. I always check the NRSV first for such things since it is a very full version.

While I don't usually use that version for general reading, I keep it as a display favorite at the bottom of the list. It comes in handy when I when I do a search in the LXX because it has the Apocrypha.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn! That is a lot quicker.
    Mark Langley
    Sovereign Grace Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

There is a chart (though it is incomplete) in the BibleWorks 6.0 manual on pages 357-359 which lists which apocryphal books are included in various Bible versions. Such a list was also included in previous versions of the manual.
    The Prayer of Manasseh is in RSV, VUL, NRS, LUT, and KJA. It is equivalent to ODE 12 in LXT and BGT.
    Psalm 151 is in RSV, VUL, NRS, TOB, and LXT, BGT, and LXE.
    A complete list should be printed in the next manual.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy

Default Apocryphal Books in More Detail

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy
    There is a chart (though it is incomplete) in the BibleWorks 6.0 manual on pages 357-359...
    Let me know where the chart is incomplete and I'll see that it is corrected.

By the way, this chart can also be seen by clicking "Help">"Online Help Topics." Go to Index and at the top you'll see Abbreviations>Book Names. Choose this option and then in the suboption box that pops up choose "Book Name Abbreviations". Scroll down to the section entitled Apocryphal Books in More Detail. This will give you a list of every apocryphal book found in BibleWorks and in what Bible translations they are found.

Default Updated Apocrypha chart

Apocryphal Books in More Detail

BibleWorks Versions (those in parentheses are included under a different book name)

1ES

1 Esdras in the LXX a paraphrase of 2 Chr. 35-36; Ezra; Neh. 8; with an original story

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, VUL, KJA, RSV, NRS

ESG

Greek Esther (LXX additions to Est. 1:1; 3:13; 4:17; 5:1-2; 8:12; and 10:3)

KJA, NRS, LUT, TOB, BFC, BCI, (DRA, NAB, NJB, LXE, EIN, FBJ, BTP)

JDT

Judith

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, VUL, KJA, RSV, NRS, DRA, NAB, NJB, LUT, EIN, FBJ, TOB, BFC, IEP, BCI, BTP

TOB

Tobit

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, VUL, KJA, RSV, NRS, DRA, NAB, NJB, LUT, EIN, FBJ, TOB, BFC, IEP, BCI, BTP

1MA

1 Maccabees

2MA

2 Maccabees

3MA

3 Maccabees

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, RSV, NRS

4MA

4 Maccabees

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, RSV, NRS

ODE

Odes Biblical canticles most of which form part of the morning office in the Byzantine rite

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM

WIS

Wisdom of Solomon

SIP

Prologue to Sirach

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, KJA, NRS, FBJ, BCI, (NJB, BFC)

SIR

Wisdom of Sirach (also known as Ecclesiasticus)

PSS

Psalms of Solomon 18 first century B.C. Greek psalms relating to capture of Jerusalem by Romans

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, LXE

BAR

Baruch

EPJ

Epistle of Jeremiah (= Chapter 6 of Baruch)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, KJA, RSV, NRS, FBJ, TOB, BFC, BCI (VUL, DRA, NAB, NJB, LUT, EIN, IEP, BTP)

SUS

Susanna (an addition to the Book of Daniel)

(= Daniel Greek chapter 13)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, KJA, RSV, NRS, NAB, LUT (VUL, DRA, NJB, EIN, TOB, BFC, IEP, BCI, BTP)

BEL

Bel and the Dragon (an addition to the Book of Daniel) (= Daniel Greek chapter 14)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, KJA, RSV, NRS, (VUL, DRA, NAB, LUT, EIN, TOB, BFC, IEP, BTP)

PRA

Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Jews (an addition to the Book of Daniel) (included in Daniel Greek chapter 3)

KJA, RSV, NRS, TOB, (LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, VUL, DRA, NAB, NJB, LUT, EIN, BFC, FBJ, BCI, BTP, LXE v. 1)

PRM

Prayer of Manasseh 2nd Century B.C. 1st Century A.D. prayer attributed to Manasseh, son of righteous Hezekiah. (= Odes 12)

VUL, KJA, RSV, NRS, LUT

PSX

Psalm 151 psalm originally in Hebrew, perhaps as early as 3rd Century B.C. (included in BibleWorks LXX as Psa 151)

VUL, RSV, NRS, TOB, (LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM, LXE)

4ES

4 Esdras a Latin apocalyptic pseudepigraph

VUL, KJA, RSV, NRS

LAO

Epistle to the Laodiceans Vulgate of unknown date, purportedly written by Paul, but clearly a plagiarization of Philippians and other Pauline letters contained only in the Latin Vulgate

VUL

JSA

Joshua (A)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM,

JDA

Judges (A)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM,

TBS

Tobit (S)

LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM,

DNG

Daniel (Greek)