Thread: Questions

Default Questions

I am making the files to compile Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. The process looks straightforward to me as I am imitating what was done on the Herodotus files, but with appropriate changes.

1) Is there anyone who keeps a master list of the three letter prefixes used? I don't want to confuse the software by reusing one. For example I want to use either MAA, MAM, MAG or MAE.

2) If I find an error at a later time, what is the best way to fix the error? Recompile or just edit some file with a text or hex editor?

3) Do people in general respect the fact that a person or group has created the module?

Currently we have more materials than are posted, but the site is undergoing an internal audit of all materials to make sure there are no copyrighted materials being distributed. We have the Greek text of Basil of Caesarea and Marcus Aurelius completed, but in the final stages of proofreading. We are working on Strabo's geography and a few minor pieces.

Dan, Stewart, and Rory
    Last edited by ddyke; 08-12-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddyke View Post
    I am making the files to compile Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. The process looks straightforward to me as I am imitating what was done on the Herodotus files, but with appropriate changes.

1) Is there anyone who keeps a master list of the three letter prefixes used? I don't want to confuse the software by reusing one. For example I want to use either MAA, MAM, MAG or MAE.

2) If I find an error at a later time, what is the best way to fix the error? Recompile or just edit some file with a text or hex editor?

3) Do people in general respect the fact that a person or group has created the module?

Currently we have more materials than are posted, but the site is undergoing an internal audit of all materials to make sure there are no copyrighted materials being distributed. We have the Greek text of Basil of Caesarea and Marcus Aurelius completed, but in the final stages of proofreading. We are working on Strabo's geography and a few minor pieces.

Dan, Stewart, and Rory
    Since I've done a lot of this you can email me via the forums and I can answer more of your questions specifically. In response to your questions

1. No. There is no "system" to keep track of version/book names. Currently I'm the one who has been putting out the most new versions, so I have been responsible for naming things. I try to keep the ID names somewhat closely linked, but also meaningful. Generally anything that ends in an "M" is a morphology version, anything that ends in an "E" is the English Translation, but even using that I have not been consistent. BW7 allows Version ID names longer than 3 letters, so this really makes it possible in the future to not worry about running out of names. Also if a user doesn't like your names, s/he can always rename them whatever when s/he installs.

2. It depends on what the error is. If you get an error, generally the file won't compile, you would have to fix that error. If you need help on a specific problem/error, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by that question, but I look forward to your contributions and I applaud your effort to make sure the text is within public domain before releasing them.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    2. It depends on what the error is. If you get an error, generally the file won't compile, you would have to fix that error. If you need help on a specific problem/error, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

The error would be one such as typing a gamma instead of a phi.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ddyke View Post
    The error would be one such as typing a gamma instead of a phi.

Dan
    Then simply edit the source text via whatever text editor you use and recompile.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Books 1 and 2

We resolved most problems and got books 1 & 2 to compile.

Dan