Thread: 1QIsaiahA Index Module

Hybrid View

Default 1QIsaiahA Index Module

So, I've finally had a chance to try my hand at making a custom BibleWorks module. For my first try, I've put together an index to the Great Isaiah Scroll. This very basic index merely links a user to the proper page of 1QIsaiahA, as it is hosted on Fred P. Miller's Great Isaiah Scroll Directory.

I'm really psyched about this feature. I'm hoping to compile some more research helps very soon, and I know that Ewan MacLeod has his sights on some great projects!

Check it out. To install, simply unzip the file and copy everything to your BibleWorks/Databases directory. When you are in a verse in Isaiah, a link to the appropriate page in the index will appear in the Resource Summary of the Analysis Window. You can also access the index by going to the Resources menu and looking under the Text Criticism category for "Darlack, 1QIsaiahA Index."
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    I'm really psyched about this feature.
    You oughta be. That is very, very cool!

The only weakness is if he ever alters/removes the links.

Would it be possible to move the pages to a file that could be inserted into one of the BW folders?

Also, how much effort would it take to put that scroll into a text format?

Great job!

One thing -- the reference doesn't show in the "References" tab in the analysis window like Ewan's Massorah does. Other than that, I think everything works properly.

Default Hmm...I'm not sure about that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    One thing -- the reference doesn't show in the "References" tab in the analysis window like Ewan's Massorah does. Other than that, I think everything works properly.
    Hmm...I'm not sure about that one... I wonder if Ewan has an idea?
    ...The only weakness is if he ever alters/removes the links. / Would it be possible to move the pages to a file that could be inserted into one of the BW folders?
    Yeah, I acknowledge the weakness. I'm going to contact the fellow who put together the website and ask for permission to put together the pages into a single HTML help file. Of course, I think it would be better if we could get images with better resolution. I don't want to take his information off of the site without him giving express permission to do so.
    Also, how much effort would it take to put that scroll into a text format?
    Well, given that this is a handwritten text, OCR is not an option. It would take someone transcribing the text and encoding it in a way similar to the QSM module for it to work. I'd love to see someone do it! Then again, I look forward to the day when all biblical texts in the DSS are available in an electronic format!
    Last edited by jdarlack; 07-24-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Well, after further examination, I see that the only time the reference appears in the analysis window is when one of the specific verses listed in the index is displayed. (Which is exactly how you advertised it.) And I'm sure it would take more work, but it would be nice if every verse extant caused the resource to appear in the analysis window.

For example, if you're in Isaiah 53:12, or anywhere else in chapter 53 for that matter, it would be nice to have the resource show up in the analysis window. I don't know how much extra work that would be, but if it's not too much extra work, it would be a nice addition.

Yes, I'll take a mile every time you give me an inch!

It's really nice either way.

Default Oops...

Well, after further examination, I see that the only time the reference appears in the analysis window is when one of the specific verses listed in the index is displayed. (Which is exactly how you advertised it.) And I'm sure it would take more work, but it would be nice if every verse extant caused the resource to appear in the analysis window.

For example, if you're in Isaiah 53:12, or anywhere else in chapter 53 for that matter, it would be nice to have the resource show up in the analysis window. I don't know how much extra work that would be, but if it's not too much extra work, it would be a nice addition.

Yes, I'll take a mile every time you give me an inch!

It's really nice either way.
    That's the way it does work! (Except for Isaiah 53 - what a chapter to miss!) I made a mistake and did not enter Isaiah 53, because the whole chapter falls on a page, and I forgot to insert Isaiah 53:1-12 in the index! I'll hopefully add it tonight and post an update. So, in essence it should work for every verse in Isaiah besides Isaiah 53:1-12! Oops!

Update: I also forgot to add chs 12, 13, 23 & 27! Woops!
    Last edited by jdarlack; 07-24-2006 at 04:36 PM.

...and I forgot to insert Isaiah 53:1-12 in the index! I'll hopefully add it tonight and post an update. So, in essence it should work for every verse in Isaiah besides Isaiah 53:1-12! Oops!
    Well, I guess for the price I have no room to complain!

Really, great job.

Default Update to Great Isaiah Scroll Index Posted

Update: I also forgot to add chs 12, 13, 23 & 27! Woops!
    I've posted a new version of the file with the missing chapters added. Download here.

Default Am I doing something wrong?

This looks like a great tool. I've installed it and it shows up in the Resource Summary window. However, when I click it it opens as expected but it says "Action Canceled" in the window where I would expect the web page to be. It says that it cannot link to the web page you request.

Any help would be appreciate!

Default anti-virus software blocking it?

My guess is that this might be because of anti-virus software you have, that it's blocking BibleWorks/HTML Help from accessing the Web. But that's just a guess. As it stands, mine seems to work fine...
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!