Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hebrew Massorah

post removed
    Last edited by MWMiles; 11-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Default Is this a cold trail by now - I hope NOT...

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    As one can imagine, a project of this size and scope is no mere 2-3 weekend blast out. We're still going over what is going to constitute the best methodology to transform the whole of the 4 volumes of Ginsburg's Massorah into searchable electronic text.

We have the font issues to deal with (several letters with odd characteristics), output formats to decide on (we don't want to lock out people running Linux, BSD, or Solaris, etc.) and other nits to swat.

We are progressing slowly, but we are indeed progressing.

If anyone reading this cares to perhaps lend a hand please contact me at michael AT massorah.org or get ahold of David at david AT massorah.org. Who knows, maybe you can have a massorah.org email account to play with too!
    Hello, Michael...

I had a look at the "massorah.org" - there is just a title page of the Ginsburg's Edition...
    Is the "michael AT massorah.org" email contact still valid...?
    I'd like to get in touch with you about this project...
    I have retired after a long career in computer consulting and I still keep very active in different computer-related fields...
    I have accumulated a large "collection" of pretty fancy software that I constantly use in many of my "pet" projects...
    I love the BibleWorks - despite of the many idiosyncracies and "undocumented features" and I am currently working on a number of user modules...
    This thread has caught my eye and got me quite excited...
    I would be more than willing to join forces with you and anyone else who may feel the same way...

TTFN, hope hearing from you at your convenience...

Emanuel
    (a.k.a. Gaius on this forum)

Shalom!

What's the status of this project?

Default Ginzburg

1) Ginzsburg's work is incomplete;
    2) Who needs the massora in a computer age?
    Save the time and effort for typing in Ben Sira Hebrew and/or the Lucianic Greek text in the historical books. The masora is really a thing in itself. I took 3 months to do a paper on one note, and even then I didn't understand it fully.
    Andrew
    PS Count me in!

post removed
    Last edited by MWMiles; 11-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Default Project, alive and well!

The Massorah Project is alive and well. As of right now, to my knowledge, there are only a few working on it. And it appears that the ones who are working on it, are doing it solo.

I purchased a copy of volume 4. I am in the process of getting it TIFF’ed for preservation and OCR’ing purposes. This will cost about $600.00. So it is on the back burner for now. Currently I am manually typing volume 4, and I am keeping the original format. It has mostly English characters, so speech recognition is working for me as well. I don’t type very fast.

The biggest challenge will be volumes 1-3.

Default Oh my!

Are these texts in the public domain and copyright clear?

The first link is to a RAR file (need an unzipping program like 7-zip to unpack it) that contains 14 different Bibles in RTF text: Delitzsch Hebrew NT, Salkinson Ginsburg Hebrew NT, Aleppo Codex, BHS (3 versions), Chayim-Ginsburg, Koren Tanach, MT (Karaite), Tanach Massoretic Morphology, Westminster Leningrad Codex, Modern Hebrew OT-NT, and a couple others. There are no copyright notices that I can see on the couple I checked. (It takes a while to open these RTF files in MSWord.)

The second link is to a complete PDF (text, not images) of the "Masoretic Text according to Jacob ben Chayim and C.D. Ginsburg published in 1894. It has a 2002-2005 copyright notice by Bibles.org.uk. (I can't find any link to this text from that site.) It is a beautiful text with 4500 footnotes!

This is pretty amazing stuff, but is it legal? If so, thank you!

EDIT (2007.01.05) - Looks like the post to which this was a reply got deleted, so I'm guessing not copyright clear...
    Last edited by MGVH; 01-05-2008 at 01:35 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Mark,

The original work is well outside the date. Only recent re-published material would hold a copyright, and I am not using anything recently published, like KTAV, or Tashla.

Default Some confusion

Hi, ugotdave!
    I wasn't referring to your post re: copyright and the work you're doing on scanning OCRing. I can't remember who, but someone had posted with no message except two links to a RAR and PDF on a personal googlebooks site. It wasn't clear that those were copyright clear. I posted my inquiry, and when I came back, that post had apparently been deleted.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

oh, I got ya!

Not sure what happened to the missing posts...
    Last edited by ugotdave; 01-11-2008 at 08:43 AM.