Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hebrew Massorah

All -

I work for a scanning/imaging and data mining software company, we have several programs that are excellent at converting paper documents into searchable pdf's as well as mining through the data and extracting all pertinent metadata, including the body text, and writing it to a sql back-end. The challenge here is to take the existing pdf files and convert them into a searchable pdf, meaning OCR the images in the pdf to actual text.

I looked at the pdf's from the Seforim website, they are in fairly bad condition for OCR'ing, but not a hopeless case. It's quite possible to OCR them. I can only promise to give it a shot next week and keep you posted on my progress.

If this fails, is there any way to get an actual copy of the Ginsburg Massorah?

Michael, I tried the module you complied, but it failed to show up. I am running BW 6.0.012y. I looked for it in the "Resources" column on the menu bar, but did not see it in there. Is this where it is suppose to be?
    Last edited by ugotdave; 02-10-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave View Post

Michael, I tried the module you complied, but it failed to show up. I am running BW 6.0.012y. I looked for it in the "Resources" column on the menu bar, but did not see it in there. Is this were it is suppose to be?

If you copied all the files to the subdirectory "databases" it should show up in your Resources list. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what would have gone wrong...
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Michael,

I am not sure what went wrong either. I unzipped the file and copied Ginsburg's-Massorah.chd, Ginsburg's-Massorah.chm, and Ginsburg's-Massorah.sdx into the 'databases' directory. I launched BW and nothing. I rebooted, still nothing. I did the entire procedure over again and nothing.

You did mention that it was not tested on BW 6, so maybe BW 6 is causing some issues...

Do you know if it's still possible to get a copy of Ginsburg's work?

Default modules only for BW7

Michael,

I am not sure what went wrong either. I unzipped the file and copied Ginsburg's-Massorah.chd, Ginsburg's-Massorah.chm, and Ginsburg's-Massorah.sdx into the 'databases' directory. I launched BW and nothing. I rebooted, still nothing. I did the entire procedure over again and nothing.

You did mention that it was not tested on BW 6, so maybe BW 6 is causing some issues...

Do you know if it's still possible to get a copy of Ginsburg's work?

Ah, that would be the problem. I'm pretty sure these add-on modules do not work in BW6, it is one of the perks of BW7.

Re: getting a copy of Ginsburg's book. It would be possible to find it at a major library, but I don't think it is readily available elsewhere.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Pasquale,

Do you have the Massorah on pdf?

If so, are they better quality then the ones on the Seforim website?

Default MWMiles has a copy

I don't know if he would be willing to share it for this purpose, but MWMiles says that he has a printed copy of the Massorah.

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    I can think of no other work that would hold as much value to a Christian looking to deeply study God's Word than Ginsburg's collation of the Massorah. It is, quite literally, a fence to the Scriptures and is vastly important to anyone that cares about the preservation of our Father's Word and it's correct meaning; to both those teaching and those being taught. It is a superlative work that is underused due to it's limited availability in printed format (I am blessed to own it), and to have it in the premier Bible Study software would be like a crown jewel in Biblical works made available to Bibleworks users. It's inclusion in Bibleworks will be a blessing much greater than I believe that most people will fathom at first look. I consider the Massorah to be PART OF the Old Testament and this work should be a front burner consideration for those that are able to produce such things.

Is any progress being made?

The sample is of quite fine quality!

Quote Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
    I don't know if my files are better then Seforim online.
    There are 4 vol.
    1) The Massorah Vol. 1 of 4 - Aleph-Yod - Christian D. Ginsburg Compiler - 1880 - London.pdf;(about 54 mega)
    2) The Massorah Vol. 2 of 4 - Caph-Tav. - Compiled by Christian D. Ginsburg - 1880 - London.pdf; (about 60 mega)
    3) The Massorah Vol. 3 of 4 - Supplement - Compiled by Christian D. Ginsburg - 1885 - London.pdf; (I don't have this file).
    4) The Massorah Vol. 4 of 4 - Explanatory Aleph - Compiled by Christian D. Ginsburg - 1905 - London.pdf. (about 100 mega)

Probabily are the same files on Seforim (6 pdf files) joined in 4 pdf!!!!

PS. Perhaps it would be the software: DAGESH PRO OCR or Readiris 11 to edit Massorah
    Pasquale,

It seems your files are from the following site:
    http://www.ericlevy.com/Revel/Revel_C_D_Ginsburg.htm

For doing OCR on Hebrew texts you need Daghesh, Ligature or
    another HEBREW OCR software!

Greetings

Ivo

Well, I struck out with the OCR'ing. Even if I had a good clean copy, our OCR engine does not have a Hebrew Character Set built in. Degesh OCR Pro does, but we still don't have good clean images to OCR from and it runs several hundred dollars.

I am going to start hand typing the first PDF's from the Seforim website, it's a start.

Any suggestions on which word processor to use?
    And does the text need to be identically to Ginsburg 's format?

And does the text need to be identically to Ginsburg 's format?
    You're going to come to find that the font that BibleWorks utilizes doesn't reproduce several characters in the Massorah, all of which are critical if you take the Massorah as serious as those that produced it did.

For example, BibleWorks has no inverted nun (as far as I can recollect). The last time that I checked the font that BibleWorks uses, there are no majestics (crowned characters) either. At one time I was of the mind to reproduce the Massorah using the BibleWorks fonts and hit the wall because of these issues.

It may prove to be better if you could find the odd characters and submit them to the correct person at BibleWorks so that these characters could be built into their font and would be readily available as you work. If BibleWorks shows any interest in furthering having Ginsburg's Massorah available in BibleWorks format by adding to their Hebrew font, then that would be great. It might spark my interest in pitching in between other projects that I'm currently engaged in.

This is just a suggestion, as you're doing the work and I'm not.

BibleWorks fonts are licensed from the SBL, if I'm not mistaken (that's what the SBL site states, anyway). You might see if the SBL has the correct characters in their font foundation. If so, it would probably be much easier to add the characters to BW. If the characters do not exist in that data set, I am not so sure that this project will happen.