Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer: The Odyssey done

Talking Homer: The Odyssey done

With much fanfare and rejoicing John Jackson has finished his parsing project on Homer's The Odyssey. Everyone should be lining up to thank him for all of his hard work and his generosity for letting me convert his work into something that works well in BW.

New files/updates are as follows

Murray English translations of Iliad and Odyssey

Jackson version Greek texts of Iliad and Odyssey
    Jackson morphology of Iliad and Odyssey

In the near future I should be able to put together a rough Vocabulary module based on Jackson's English glosses.

Once again, if these files are helpful for you and you appreciate John's hard work, stop by his website and let him know: http://www.handheldclassics.com
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Everyone should be lining up to thank him for all of his hard work and his generosity for letting me convert his work into something that works well in BW.
    Let me be the first in line. Thanks to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    Let me be the first in line. Thanks to both of you!
    Maybe you want to be first in line then to help do revise the morphologies then All of my conversion was rather preliminary work. It'll get the job done for now, but much left to be done. Not all of the lemmas lead to lexicon entries. Pronouns might need more clarification, there is no distinction between KAI as an adverb and KAI as a conjunction, etc. So much has been done, but a lot still could be done.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Maybe you want to be first in line then to help do revise the morphologies then...
    No comprehende! Den katalabainw Ellhnika!

Truthfully, even if I had the time, which I very definitely don't, I would not be aware of what in your mind needed to be improved. You've lived with it, so you know it inside out, as it were.

I will say, however, even though you consider this to be a work in process, that these files are a goldmine for BW users who wish to further their studies in classical Greek. The fact that you've included the morphology, no matter if you consider it incomplete, makes these files extremely useful for classical study, and in a way that I don't think exists elsewhere.

So, for those who haven't tried these files, I highly recommend them. They are very valuable addtions to BW.

And Michael, take your time. We're in no hurry.

Hey Michael,

it seems that I canīt unzip the files of the greek versions of iliad&odyssey as well as the vocab file for homer and the german translation of Homer/Hesiod which is stored on your BW blog. I got an error message while unzipping them. Could you please check this?

Blessings,
    Steffen

Quote Originally Posted by christlove View Post
    Hey Michael,

it seems that I canīt unzip the files of the greek versions of iliad&odyssey as well as the vocab file for homer and the german translation of Homer/Hesiod which is stored on your BW blog. I got an error message while unzipping them. Could you please check this?

Blessings,
    Steffen
    What program are you using to unzip the files?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

I use winrar but also tried it with 7-zip.

Steffen

Quote Originally Posted by christlove View Post
    I use winrar but also tried it with 7-zip.

Steffen
    Try opening the files natively in Windows. This has been a long term issue and I don't understand why. I have rezipped and uploaded the files and it still happens. I too have an error when I try to use 7zip, but when I open the archive naturally in Windows Explorer without using 7zip, there is no problem.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Thanks, Mike.
    I'm getting a not found error for the hhe.zip file, and I don't see it in your directory of files. Did you upload it?
    No problem opening the other two.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Thanks, Mike.
    I'm getting a not found error for the hhe.zip file, and I don't see it in your directory of files. Did you upload it?
    No problem opening the other two.
    Give it another try, Mark. This thread is really old. What most likely happened is that these files were all wiped out back when the Yahoo server crashed and then HHE never got re-uploaded.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!