Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Homer: The Odyssey done

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Talking Homer: The Odyssey done

    With much fanfare and rejoicing John Jackson has finished his parsing project on Homer's The Odyssey. Everyone should be lining up to thank him for all of his hard work and his generosity for letting me convert his work into something that works well in BW.

    New files/updates are as follows

    Murray English translations of Iliad and Odyssey

    Jackson version Greek texts of Iliad and Odyssey
    Jackson morphology of Iliad and Odyssey


    In the near future I should be able to put together a rough Vocabulary module based on Jackson's English glosses.


    Once again, if these files are helpful for you and you appreciate John's hard work, stop by his website and let him know: http://www.handheldclassics.com
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Everyone should be lining up to thank him for all of his hard work and his generosity for letting me convert his work into something that works well in BW.
    Let me be the first in line. Thanks to both of you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    Let me be the first in line. Thanks to both of you!
    Maybe you want to be first in line then to help do revise the morphologies then All of my conversion was rather preliminary work. It'll get the job done for now, but much left to be done. Not all of the lemmas lead to lexicon entries. Pronouns might need more clarification, there is no distinction between KAI as an adverb and KAI as a conjunction, etc. So much has been done, but a lot still could be done.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Maybe you want to be first in line then to help do revise the morphologies then...
    No comprehende! Den katalabainw Ellhnika!

    Truthfully, even if I had the time, which I very definitely don't, I would not be aware of what in your mind needed to be improved. You've lived with it, so you know it inside out, as it were.

    I will say, however, even though you consider this to be a work in process, that these files are a goldmine for BW users who wish to further their studies in classical Greek. The fact that you've included the morphology, no matter if you consider it incomplete, makes these files extremely useful for classical study, and in a way that I don't think exists elsewhere.

    So, for those who haven't tried these files, I highly recommend them. They are very valuable addtions to BW.

    And Michael, take your time. We're in no hurry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Hey Michael,

    it seems that I canīt unzip the files of the greek versions of iliad&odyssey as well as the vocab file for homer and the german translation of Homer/Hesiod which is stored on your BW blog. I got an error message while unzipping them. Could you please check this?

    Blessings,
    Steffen

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christlove View Post
    Hey Michael,

    it seems that I canīt unzip the files of the greek versions of iliad&odyssey as well as the vocab file for homer and the german translation of Homer/Hesiod which is stored on your BW blog. I got an error message while unzipping them. Could you please check this?

    Blessings,
    Steffen
    What program are you using to unzip the files?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •