Thread: Bible Works on Mac: Boot Camp Review

Default Bible Works on Mac: Boot Camp Review

Well, I had in the past argued and complained heavily to have a Bible Works version for Mac, but as you all know Apple came out with Boot Camp. I had said recently I would try it out, and I finally did.

I installed Boot Camp on an Intel Mac Book dual 2.0 with 1 gb RAM and 120 gb HD. Installation was quick and easy. I installed BW right away, that too was quick. I did a few optimizations and a quick seach, and everything is lightning fast. It is as fast or faster than any native Windows computer I have previously owned.

The only problem at first was right clicking with my single laptop mouse button. But I found a program online so that now I can do the normal control-click to bring up the contextual menus.

But everything works fine, dandy, and fast. I'm glad I can use BW full speed and full time again. I chose Boot Camp because it is faster (and cheaper ((free))) than Parallels or anything else. I say it works great and now is good news because any Bible Works user can have a Mac and vice versa (and we know all people should own Macs!!!

I look forward to the Mac Developers' Conference August 11 when Mac Leopard will come out. Most say Boot Camp will be included with it and we will then be able to do fast user switching between OSes, rather than restarting the whole computer right now.

I hope this info helps!!! I look forward to rejuvenating my BW skills!!!

Well this is great news for users of both kinds. Hopefully it signals good times ahead. Now Mac users will be able to see the power and value of BW too I imagine a more long-range double-clicking solution would be coming from Mac-Land because so many other programs in PC land use right clicks. It's positive though that BootCamp works so well considering it is still in beta and hopefully being updated.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Information for a new Mac user

I am a new Mac user. I am currently in the process of switching from the PC world to the Macworld. Everything in the transition has been awesome except for the BW issue. I would pay just about anything for a Mac version of BW right now. Is using BW with Boot Camp easy or is it cumbersome? Will it be best to wait until the new Leopard OS comes out? If one is using BW on their Mac, is it possible to access the other Mac programs (e.g., using BW and MS Word for Mac)? I have to get this Bible software issue worked out before school starts. Any experienced Mac users' insights and experience are welcomed. Thanks.

I would imagine using anything with Boot Camp is cumbersome. As I understand it Boot Camp simply sets up the Mac as a dual-boot system, a Mac solution to run OS X and Windows on the same machine. When you switch from OS X into Windows you are natively running Windows and Windows only, it isn't running under OS X or some such. So the way I read this, if you're in OS X and want to do something in BibleWorks, you have to close down OS X, boot into Windows, do what you want in Windows/BibleWorks, then boot back to OS X.

It may seem nice but I've spent enough years dual booting Linux and Windows to know that this will get old fast.
    Last edited by Columcille; 07-11-2006 at 04:24 AM.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Default Yup..

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille

It may seem nice but I've spent enough years dual booting Linux and Windows to know that this will get old fast.
    You're right, it will get old - and it doesn't have to be that way. Codeweavers is nearly finished getting their version of WINE running under macintels, if BW tested itself rigorously with the winelibs for compatability then installing a working BW install directly in the mac environment would be a reality.

BW7 very nearly works with WINE, btw (major issues with the toolbar and the editor not seeing keyboard maps so unicode's busted) - BW 6 and under run just about flawlessly with WINE...

Quote Originally Posted by globalpreacher
    I am a new Mac user. I am currently in the process of switching from the PC world to the Macworld. Everything in the transition has been awesome except for the BW issue. I would pay just about anything for a Mac version of BW right now. Is using BW with Boot Camp easy or is it cumbersome? Will it be best to wait until the new Leopard OS comes out? If one is using BW on their Mac, is it possible to access the other Mac programs (e.g., using BW and MS Word for Mac)? I have to get this Bible software issue worked out before school starts. Any experienced Mac users' insights and experience are welcomed. Thanks.
    Check out this forum for info on using BibleWorks with Parallels (my personal favorite - allows simultaneous operation of multiple OSs within OS X):
    http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529

Parallels works great for me, as you can see from my comments. It seems others agree....

P.S. Contra comments above, it is my understanding that Apple will NOT be modifying Boot Camp to allow both OSs to run simultaneously ... Boot Camp apparently will continue to be a dual-boot solution only.

While it is true the Boot Camp may remain dual boot, even under Leopard, it is also true that it could likely involve fast or easy user switching, meaning that you wouldn't have to necessarily restart the whole computer to switch to Windows.

As for speed in Boot Camp, on my Macbook with 1 gb RAM, it is lightning quick and very easy and fast to restart into another operating systems. And there are programs you can install to read and write documents between the two OSes. (although doing that involves some risk of virii affecting your OSX)

And regarding Parallels, I do hear it's nice and don't doubt it is, but it is also like $50+, and there is no disputing that it is a tad slower than Boot Camp. So...to save a bunch of money and work at full speed, I don't mind restarting once in a while to use Bible Works.