Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BibleWorks 7 Master List Installer

Default MSG - The Message Bible (2002)

The The Message Bible (2002) Bible is now available for download. It will be added to the Master list later on.
    [removed due to copyright issues]
    Robin

Note: Due to copyright issues, download at your own discretion.
    Last edited by admin; 07-17-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    Robin Song, M.Div
    Andrews University Theological Seminary
    Berrien Springs, MI

Default A.P. Ross Intro To Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary File

The A.P. Ross Intro To Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary File is now available for download. It will be added to the Master list later on.
    Robin
    Last edited by admin; 07-17-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    Robin Song, M.Div
    Berrien Springs, MI

Default SVN - Spanish Valera New Testament (1862)

The Spanish Valera New Testament (1862) Bible is now available for download. It will be added to the Master list later on.
    Robin
    Last edited by admin; 07-17-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    Robin Song, M.Div
    Berrien Springs, MI

Dear Robin, I sincerely appreciate your zeal for making the Word of God available to the world! I cannot help but think, however, that your zeal has clouded your judgment.
    Quote Originally Posted by song_robin
    The work that I am offering is a favor to the Christian world -- I only ask that you try to see the big picture with me and try to understand why I am doing what I do. It has been over a month since The Message Bible was taken down (not by request of the copyright owner) and still no one has helped me contact the copyright owner for their permission.
    Actually the "big picture" is that the BibleWorks community needs to be above reproach with copyright laws. We have a responsibility first of all to those who are not Christians to exemplify integrity in all we do (assuming that the majority of BW users are in fact Christians). Second we have an obligation to the publishers who own these texts to not rob them. Would it be a part of the "big picture" to rob a Christian book store of all their Bibles for the sake of distributing them to others? This case is no different. By distributing these files without either permission or payment for use, you are in essence stealing the Bibles.
    Believe it or not, I am not making any money whatsoever on this -- in fact, it's costing me. I have already tried looking up some of these contacts myself with little success.
    The issue is not profit. While you are not making profit from these texts, you are in essence removing profit from those who own the rights to these texts. This is very similar to the whole Napster controversy. In that case, folks were making copyright protected songs available to the public for free. This cost the record industry and the artists a great deal of revenue, and they were able to sue and win. I don't think that you would like to be put in the same shoes, nor would you like BibleWorks to be placed in the same shoes. The fact that these are biblical texts does not change the issue at all. In fact the very text you are distributing would warn against it, as even Paul - the apostle/missionary par excellence - stated that even ministers deserved compensation for the work that they did. By distributing these texts without license, you are in effect robbing those responsible for the translation. Now I know that these translations are often "owned" by large publishing houses and organizations that are concerned with profit. The plethora of "study Bibles" catering to every small segment of Western society seems to arise from a publisher's desire to put new and flashy marketable Bibles in the hands of bookstores for the sake of their own profit. This still does not justify breaking the law to distribute the texts. The bottom line here is that no matter how well intentioned or noble your intentions, if you are not able to get permission, then you should not distribute the text at all.
    If you are concerned with copyright issues and would really like to help me and this cause, please help me contact the copyright owners and ask for their permission for their excellent contribution to help thousands (if not millions) of Christians worldwide and be a part of the best scholarly Bible tool in the world. And if you happen to be a copyright owner/representative, let me begin by stating that I am trying to help you bring your version of the Bible to the pastors, to the pulpit and to the people.
    Again, I appreciate your zeal here. I too want to see BibleWorks grow into the best most comprehensive Bible software available. I have written several publishers in the past for permission to distribute texts. Typically it has been successful - especially when I have come to them FIRST before distributing the text. It can easily be seen as pretentious to present a text to the public first and then ask for permission to distribute. Perhaps you could withdraw the texts that you have made available, post a list of potential texts that you would like to make available and encourage BW users to seek permission. Then these BW users can go and say to the publisher, "Hey, we'd love to use your text, but we can't and we won't without your permission." I think a little humility and "decorum" would go a long way here. I very strongly suggest that you take the files down in the meantime, at the very least remove the links from the forum. I also concur with Joe Fleener's advice to BibleWorks users to NOT download the texts that are in copyright. Instead take your strong desire for the particular text you want and funnel it into either requesting the text for the BibleWorks base package OR into contacting the publishers for expressed permission to distribute the text.

May I suggest that everyone interested in compiling Version Databases for BibleWorks familiarize themselves with the statement that BibleWorks produced on the Version Database Compiler (especially the highlighted paragraph):
    BibleWorks Version Database Compiler
    Version 7.0.005

Please read the following carefully before using the BibleWorks Versions Database Compiler (VDC). The VDC is a tool that is intended to facilitate the work of missionaries and translators who wish to compile their translations and use them in BibleWorks.
    Databases compiled with the VDC may be freely distributed to other BibleWorks users as long as no price is charged for the database and as long as the compiled database is not distributed as part of a collection for which a price is charged. Before distributing any databases that you compile you must insure that you have the right under copyright law to distribute the database. In all cases you should include with the database a statement of the copyright status of the database and a copy of this document. The document is in a file called compiler.rtf in your BibleWorks databases directory. This is to protect both you and BibleWorks. Please obey the copyright laws.
    Databases compiled, or intended for compilation, with the VDC may not be sold without the express written permission of BibleWorks, LLC. If you would like to apply for a distribution license please contact BibleWorks, LLC at sales@bibleworks.com. The purpose of this licensing requirement is not to inhibit the distribution of compiled databases, but rather to encourage cooperation between BibleWorks and the distributors of such databases. Potential distributors of new databases should be aware that the format of these databases is proprietary to BibleWorks, and can be changed at any time. The same is true of the format of the underlying text from which the compiled version is generated. It is important that database developers and distributors remain in contact with us so that we can minimize the effect of database format and compiler changes on their customers. We will make every effort to insure that licensed databases remain compatible with future releases of BibleWorks. No such guarantees can be made for unlicensed databases. Users should also keep in mind that we cannot provide support for third party databases which were distributed, either in compiled or raw form, without a distribution license. We can provide some support for databases from licensed sources but the nature of the support will depend on the licensing arrangement.

Neither your reseller nor BibleWorks, LLC shall be liable for any consequential, incidental, special, exemplary or other direct or indirect damages arising from use, results of use, or the inability to use the databases compiled with the VDC. Some states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

The exclusive extent of your remedies in equity and at law (and the sole liabilities of your reseller and BibleWorks, LLC) are: (a) replacement of a copy of the BibleWorks software, databases and documentation; or (b) refund of the license fee; either (a) or (b) of the foregoing being at the option and in the sole discretion of BibleWorks, LLC.

BibleWorks. LLC
    11/12/05
    Cordially, and with the integrity of BibleWorks and BibleWorks users in mind,
    Last edited by jdarlack; 07-16-2006 at 03:15 PM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    Dear Robin, I sincerely appreciate your zeal for making the Word of God available to the world! I cannot help but think, however, that your zeal has clouded your judgment.Actually the "big picture" is that the BibleWorks community needs to be above reproach with copyright laws.
    Your concern is much appreciated! However, I still need to hear it from the copyright owners themselves.

I don't think that this can be comparable to Napster, because I believe that their primary concern is not to make money on their Bibles, but rather to provide the world with a translation that can bless the people.

I believe that they will agree that what I am doing is only helping them to accomplish that.

If the forum administrators are concerned with my actions, you have my full approval in removing all of the links or deleting my account. However, I will stand with my decision.

Robin
    Robin Song, M.Div
    Berrien Springs, MI

Your concern is much appreciated! However, I still need to hear it from the copyright owners themselves.

TNIV for instance is owned by Zondervan. Please view this page on their website : http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en...Site=Zondervan

If you wish to use their material there is a website to ask for permission: http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en...Site=Zondervan

More specifically on TNIV: http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en...Site=Zondervan

If this company requires permission for using more than 500 verses of one of their versions do you really think they would agree to you distributing the entire version? It seems apparent that you are intent on your action, I only hope others do the right thing.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hi Robin-

Much of what you're doing is very helpful for our users. I thank you for your selfless labor and enthusiasm. The user community is greatly helped by some of your efforts.

I'm disappointed to see that you have decided to post versions that clearly violate copyright laws. Though we believe that the Bible should be freely distributed, we also believe that we must obey the Bible when it says "be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient..." (Titus 3:1) and "Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers: for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be are ordained of God." (Rom 13:1).

For this reason I'm asking you to remove the links to the versions that are in clear violation of copyright law (TNIV, The Message, Watchtower, etc.). If the links to these versions are not off the forum by the end of the day, I will be forced to delete your posts myself.

I hope you will be able to see how the above passages must direct our behavior. If you can obtain permission from the copyright holders, I will be happy to have you post the links again.

Michael

----------------

TNIV:
    http://www.tniv.info/bible/termsofuse.php
    3. Permitted noncommercial uses.
    a) Individuals: You are permitted to reproduce the TNIV® Text solely for personal, non-commercial use, as described in this limited revocable license Agreement. For these uses, the TNIV® Text may be quoted in written format, up to and inclusive of 50 verses, without express written permission from IBS, provided the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for five percent (5%) or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted. This limited license may be revoked and/or modified at any time by IBS in its sole and absolute discretion.

b) Churches and non-profit educational institutions: You are permitted to reproduce the TNIV® Text solely for personal, non-commercial use, as described in this limited revocable license Agreement. For these uses, the TNIV® Text may be quoted in written format, up to and inclusive of 500 verses, without express written permission from IBS, provided the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted. This limited license may be revoked and/or modified at any time by IBS in its sole and absolute discretion.

The Message:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions...fo&vid=65#copy
    Copyright Information

The Message text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses, without express written permission of the publisher, NavPress Publishing Group, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible and do not account for 25% or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.

Notice of copyright must appear as follows on either the title page or the copyright page of the work in which The Message is quoted: "Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright � 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group."

When quotations from The Message text are used in nonsaleable media, such as church bulletins, orders of service, posters, transparencies, or similar media, a complete copyright notice is not required, but "The Message" must appear at the end of each quotation.

Permission requests for commercial and noncommercial use that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to and approved in writing by NavPress Publishing Group, Permissions, P.O. Box 35001, Colorado Springs, Co 80935. (http://www.messagebible.com )

New World Translation:
    http://www.watchtower.org/copyright.htm
    Copyright

Copyright © 2006 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved.

Unless otherwise indicated, all documents, images, and other information contained in this Web site are the intellectual property of Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania.

This Web site is published and maintained by Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.
    Last edited by MTan; 07-17-2006 at 10:04 AM.