Thread: Highlighting/ASE/IEL/frequency

Question Highlighting/ASE/IEL/frequency

Is there a way to do a search with the ASE using an inclusion list built from the word list manager and then have all the words found within a certain limit of verses highted "permanently" with the highlighting tool?

My purpose is to give a visual representation of low-frequency verbs and nouns common in two pericopes. For instance, if I use the word list manager to compare vocabulary in the BGM of 1Peter and selected chapters from Isaiah, and then collect the low-frequency common words as an inclusion list, I can then do a limited ASE query of the two pericopes I just compared. If I send the results to the command center I have (highlighted in yellow) a visual representation of vocabulary common between 1Peter and various chapters of Isaiah.

I want to do two more things with these results!
    1. I want to be able to use the highlighting tool to "semi-permanently" highlight all of the results of the above ASE query.
    2. I would like to be able to somehow define the frequency of the words in a particular book for that query. So that I can eliminate words such as eimi or ginomai.

Is there a way to do this?
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Hi Jim-

You can certainly do that! The color highlighting tool lets you highlight the results of both ASE and commandline searches. To limits the color highlighting to a certain verses range, simply set up the search limits for the ASE search before you run the query. To eliminate certain words from the search, use "inclusion/exclusion" words in the ASE.

One you have a query that returns the results you want, open the Color Highlighting window and select "Apply to Search results".

Hope that helps!
    Michael

Regarding your other question, you can get the word frequency for the results of a query. Open the Word List Manager. You'll notice an option titled "Load highlighted words from query." This will let you take the "hits" from a commandline or ASE search and tabulate them.

If you want the query to be restricted to a verse range, simply set search limits for the query before importing the results into the word List Manager...

Michael

Default ASE highlighter

Thanks Michael!

After I posted, I figured out that the ASE does work with the Highlighting tool! Yet again, I am amazed by the program & the developers!

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing