Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Export Unicode

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH
    I've posted directions for the basics here:
    Well, after all that, I've concluded I'm not going to mess with unicode at this point, at least not until I'm running XP or Vista. Too many steps, and I don't need it.

As Mike said, there's a long way to go for unicode, so unless I need it beforehand, I think I'm going to wait for the "plug-n-play" version.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH
    That's because you are accessing the characters in the English range and you need to change both font AND KEYBOARD in order to get Hebrew.
    Just out of curiosity, how come I can go here --

http://www.kathimerini.gr/
    http://www.haaretz.co.il/

and read both Greek and Hebrew without any problem, and without making any modifications?

Default suggestion...

Hi Adelphos,
    try to perform the followings:

1 In Tools/Options/Fonts/Export Fonts, after you have activated Export Fonts (i think the option Export Hebrew Superscript in Tools/Option Flags/Export Options should checked as well), hit Edit Export Maps.
    2. Hit Open and choose the file silheb.fmp
    3. In the Export font take SBL.
    4. Hit Save and give it name you like.
    5. Check the Enable on.
    6. Hit Close.
    7. Select the text of WTT.
    8. RightClick on it and choose Copy to the Clipboard.
    9. Go to the Word program and try to paste it.
    10. I wish you'll be lucky this time.

Yuri.
    Guller Yuri
    MA Student, Bible Studies Dep.
    Hebrew University, Jerusalem
    gullerya@gmail.com

The less time I have left, the more I appreciate it...
    (No, its neither a quotation nor a claim for 'revelation', nothing more then a simple self-expression).

Default Seeing Greek onscreen

(I'm getting a bit beyond my competence here, but I think the following is correct...)
    For the Greek site, you can read it because they are just using Greek characters that are still in the "Basic Greek" range that works fine with almost any of the earlier, standard TrueType fonts. (In MSWord, choose Insert > Symbol, and then look for the "Basic Greek" set of characters.)

What Unicode does is provide all the needed Greek characters (ie, with breathing marks, accents, iota subscripts, etc.) within a single font along with English and as many other languages that the font composer wants to include.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by yugu
    Hi Adelphos, try to perform the followings:
    Yuri, that worked perfectly!
    !hbr hdwt

Mark, thanks for the explanation. I'm glad I can read those websites, but I still don't really understand the unicode issue.

David, if you're reading this, I do now get the same behavior as you when I paste the SBL Hebrew font (thanks to Yuri) into Word. That is, the text automatically becomes right-aligned with the english on the right of the Hebrew.

On the other hand, for what it's worth, the same text pastes perfectly into Davka. Plus, it automatically converts to the Davak David font, and is automatically formatted for Hebrew typing from within Davka, so this gives me the best of both worlds because all I have to do to switch between english/hebrew is hit alt / (alt + forward slash, i.e., it's a toggle), and viola!

What a great new discovery!

Unicode support under Windows 98 is almost non-existent. In order to get the Unicode Hebrew export to work in BW you have to be running XP service pack 2, using a Word processor that supports Unicode Hebrew well (Word 2003 was the first one that did this at all decently) and you must also install a Hebrew keyboard in the Control Panel using the Reagional and Language Options applet. What a mess huh? Basically, if you have Windows 98 you might as well forget about Unicode Hebrew.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    Basically, if you have Windows 98 you might as well forget about Unicode Hebrew.
    Then the Lord must be smiling on me (a rare occurrence indeed) because the export from WTT to Davka works PERFECTLY.

I used to have to copy from Davka's Tanach the range of verses I pulled from BW, because it was pasting BWHEBB into the document and I needed the Davka font, but now, with the unicode export, it automatically pastes into my document the Davka font, which is PERFECT. Saves me a lot time.

But I still need a new computer.

Ahhh. Davka. Glad it works. My comments applied more to mainstream stuff. I've shied away from programs like Davka because of difficulties sharing files with other people. If you can get Unicode out of BW into Davka under Windows 98, I am more than a little impressed :-) But as far as I know there is no Unicode solution for Word under Windows 98.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    I've shied away from programs like Davka because of difficulties sharing files with other people.
    That's Davka's number one weakness. I have tried repeatedly to get them to make a couple of their fonts available in the same way that you and BW make your fonts available, but to no avail. Thus far, they are dead set on keeping everything internal, and while I love their program, I do not like their policy on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos

David, if you're reading this, I do now get the same behavior as you when I paste the SBL Hebrew font (thanks to Yuri) into Word. That is, the text automatically becomes right-aligned with the english on the right of the Hebrew.

On the other hand, for what it's worth, the same text pastes perfectly into Davka. Plus, it automatically converts to the Davak David font, and is automatically formatted for Hebrew typing from within Davka, so this gives me the best of both worlds because all I have to do to switch between english/hebrew is hit alt / (alt + forward slash, i.e., it's a toggle), and viola!
    OK, that's good to know. I wonder, then, whether it is a BW thing or a Word thing. That is, which program is right-aligning the text? Sometimes I want this to happen, eg when pasting a large section. But sometimes I don't, eg a clause to appear in the middle of an English sentence. So it would be good to be able to "toggle" right- or left-aligning.

So Davka displays the same as when pasting non-unicode into Word?