Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Export Unicode

Hybrid View

Default Export Unicode

Following David's question, I tried exporting Hebrew to unicode and I can't get it to work properly, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

My OS is 98 SE. In export to font I had SBL Hebrew as the export font. It gives me gibberish when I paste to Word. In Davka, it gives me Hebrew characters, but some of them are incorrect. I do have this font installed on my system.

I would like to make this work if possible because in the font list within the BW option dialog, my Davka Hebrew fonts show up, which apparently means that I can export to those particular fonts since they are unicode compliant. However, when I export them to Davka from BW, I also get incorrect characters.

I don't know much about this -- what am I saying -- I know nothing about this, so if someone could guide me here, I'd appreciate it. I would love to be able to export BW Hebrew to Davka in unicode with the fonts working properly.

What process are you using to Export (simply copy and paste or some other method?)? and what version of Word?

I set my export font to SBL Hebrew into Word 2002 and all worked fine (simply copying and pasting)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    What process are you using to Export (simply copy and paste or some other method?)? and what version of Word?
    I'm using Word 2002 and I simply copy and paste. I get a bunch of gibberish. I would insert the picture here if I knew how. (How do you guys do that??? I print screen and crop and so forth, but I'll be doggoned if I know how to put that picture in this message).

So in lieu of the picture, it looks something like this --

????_?{?/???, etc.

I have the SBL font selected in the export option in BW. I also tried the copy center and copying the browse window text, but it gives me the same result.

I must have some option somewhere going on, but I haven't got the slightest idea what it is.

This is my only guess, otherwise I haven't a clue why it's not working for you.

When you go to Font options, you've clicked Export Fonts, do you have an X in the box (which means Unicode) just to the right of the SBL Hebrew Font Size?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

When you go to Font options, you've clicked Export Fonts, do you have an X in the box (which means Unicode) just to the right of the SBL Hebrew Font Size?
    Yep. It's something specific to my system, I believe, since I can't even type the SBL Hebrew font from within Word.

Thanks for the help, but the bottom line is, I need a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    Yep. It's something specific to my system, I believe, since I can't even type the SBL Hebrew font from within Word.

Thanks for the help, but the bottom line is, I need a new computer.
    And just another reason why we're not quite "there" yet with full-Unicode support. The support for it is still rather spotty in many "old" computers. And heck even on computers that can use Unicode, it's still tricky to figure out how to go back and forth to different keyboards, etc.

I hope the transition to HD TV isn't going to be this painful. Gotta love technology, I think that's why BW still suggests scholars keep their books and pencil and paper handy in spite of all that Bible software can do.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

I set my export font to SBL Hebrew into Word 2002 and all worked fine (simply copying and pasting)
    I just tried something...

From within Word 2002, if I select SBL Hebrew font and start typing, it automatically reverts back to Times New Roman (my default font).

In other words, I can't actually type with the SBL Hebrew font in Word or any other program. Figure that one out.

Default typing Hebrew

Actually, selecting the SBL Hebrew font and then just starting to type, the expected behavior would be that it reverts to TimesNewRoman in English.
    That's because you are accessing the characters in the English range and you need to change both font AND KEYBOARD in order to get Hebrew.
    It's a similar matter typing in Greek Unicode but a bit more complex with Hebrew since you have to manage the right to left deal.
    I've posted directions for the basics here: http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mh...reek/fonts.htm
    but there are links to more detailed instructions.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH
    Actually, selecting the SBL Hebrew font and then just starting to type, the expected behavior would be that it reverts to TimesNewRoman in English.
    Thanks, Mark. That's good to know. I'll check out your links and study them. Thanks for making them available.

Unicode support under Windows 98 is almost non-existent. In order to get the Unicode Hebrew export to work in BW you have to be running XP service pack 2, using a Word processor that supports Unicode Hebrew well (Word 2003 was the first one that did this at all decently) and you must also install a Hebrew keyboard in the Control Panel using the Reagional and Language Options applet. What a mess huh? Basically, if you have Windows 98 you might as well forget about Unicode Hebrew.

Mike